• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66/7 Dash cluster question

RJS

Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
On my 66 Satellite the only thing not functioning is the turn signal lights in the dash.
Does anyone have a dash cluster handy that you can show the backside and where they are? When I let my fingers do the walking I keep pulling an illumination bulb in the general area I think I should be in.

Thanks Ron

66Satellite73.JPG

That are set up to not work on a Satellite. The factory put black tape over the holes for the sockets in the dash. That’s why you can’t find the bulbs, there aren’t any!

Only the fender indicators function. Strange but true.

First I'd like to say I knew you would have an answer!!!
Second i actually wondered if they just wanted us to look out at the fender!
This car although the SPD is 527 still is before 4 way flashers and no emergency brake light too!!
My **** personality is challenged by all this... Ha Ha

Ron

I put bulbs and sockets in mine. Jan. 1,1966 feds mandated flashers, either somebody didn't get the memo or original told dealer not to install them?

I put bulbs and sockets in mine. Jan. 1,1966 feds mandated flashers, either somebody didn't get the memo or original told dealer not to install them?
Fran, they started in August 1965 making 1966 cars. Plenty were built, like more than half of the cars for the year, before Flashers were mandatory.

On my 66 Satellite the only thing not functioning is the turn signal lights in the dash.
Does anyone have a dash cluster handy that you can show the backside and where they are? When I let my fingers do the walking I keep pulling an illumination bulb in the general area I think I should be in.

Thanks Ron

View attachment 1137719
Pulling out the cluster isn't all that hard to do to see if there's actually no bulbs and the holes are covered. I can get mine out (66 Belvedere I) without lowering the column....

That are set up to not work on a Satellite. The factory put black tape over the holes for the sockets in the dash. That’s why you can’t find the bulbs, there aren’t any!

That doesn't surprise me and after seeing many things that were done on Mopar by the manufacturer, I quit being surprised about things that were built into some of the cars many years ago lol. Anyways, my 71 Cuda came with the fender mounted turn signals and with the Cuda hood on it, you couldn't see the right side fender light....so maybe that's why they hooked up the dash signal lights....? Just thought it was kinda strange back then that someone could order them when you couldn't see both!

Pulling out the cluster isn't all that hard to do to see if there's actually no bulbs and the holes are covered. I can get mine out (66 Belvedere I) without lowering the column....

That doesn't surprise me and after seeing many things that were done on Mopar by the manufacturer, I quit being surprised about things that were built into some of the cars many years ago lol. Anyways, my 71 Cuda came with the fender mounted turn signals and with the Cuda hood on it, you couldn't see the right side fender light....so maybe that's why they hooked up the dash signal lights....? Just thought it was kinda strange back then that someone could order them when you couldn't see both!

Just tape up the opening for scratches.....

The empty holes along the bottom are where the turn signal indicator lights would go.

IMG_1643.JPG

Here is the 1966 Belvedere owners manual. It tells you where to look on a Satellite.

The next two are photos of the black tape over the holes. This is how the factory did it.

It’s very puzzling when you take out the cluster and it has old hardened dried black tape over the holes for the bulbs. And when you remove the tape you can plainly see there was never a bulb in those positions.

Now I’d bet that many cars got the bulbs from the factory. And how many folks brought their car back to the dealership and complained about them not working? Plenty?

I just called a friend that bought a 1967 GTX new and still owns it. He has the fender signals, and the dash signals are not functioning. This is a well kept babied car for its whole life, and it looks like new to this day. Any problem was immediately fixed.

B90EDA47-6D3A-4E57-8ADC-AAFD5E61BFFD.jpeg 9FF6BA6E-6E73-4208-B21F-1E4E2D1BB5E7.jpeg 2DB223D6-F78F-4E2C-AFA5-DD718DCCFBA0.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t advise removing the cluster with the column in place on a 1967. You can easily ding up the plastic bezel For the cluster and scuff the paint on the columm. I always lower the column to the seat, makes it easier to work on and only adds a few minutes to the job.

Now we do know a 1967 column is larger diameter than a 1966. And this may change how this cluster removal works.

I’ve only had two 1966 Plymouth’s, all the rest are 1967.

Last edited:
I was able to install turn signal bulbs in my 67 GTX cluster and have fender top and dash turn signals. Going to try it on my 66 also but not that far along yet.

Now that I know where exactly and what to feel for I may give those two spots a shiny new bulb!!!

Ron

Last edited:

I've seen this same thing on a 9/67 build '68 Coronet R/T with fender mounted signals.

My car has the turn signals in the dash.

Now.....whether or not they are factory. I have no idea.

April 5th 1966 SBD

I recently had to replace the right signal bulb on my ‘66 Belvedere. You can do it without pulling the cluster but be prepared for the digs and scratches in your arm. The bulb is a bitch to get to. Next time I plan to remove the cluster.

I ordered a 1966 361 4-speed Satellite in June 1966 — on the last day they took orders for that model, so the dealership told me. It had working front fender turn signal lights AND working dash bulbs. I also ordered a 4-way flasher system (not standard or required at the time), and it never worked. Toggle switch would not activate it, and dealership never figured out why. The car was an electrical anomaly from day one because I had to make a voltage regulator replacement about once a year — but everything electrical worked fine (including clock and console tach) except the flasher system. The 361 with the 2-barrel Rochester was awful but both were summarily replaced with a bored-out 383 and a Holley 4-barrel after original 361 block cracked.

If I remember correctly, 4 way flashers were not Federally mandated at least at the beginning of 66 production. Some States mandated them though. Possibly New York for one. I have seen far more 66 cars without them than with them.

Auto Transport Service
Back