• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 8.75 worth..

BeepBeepRR

Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
I posted some parts on craigslist. But not sure how much the complete drum to drum rear end is worth. Id have to check case number and ratio.. Let me know what its worth. I need the cash to fund my other car..

Last edited:
If original, it's 741 case and very likely 2.94 gears.

People will bitch about the "weak" case and "high" gears.

$250 if really nice and complete.

If it happens to be a sure grip, double or more.

OK cool thanks I need to check out the case number as well as the ratio. Almost positive its an open differential.

I just poked my head under the car with a drill and a wire wheel its a 742 case. No tags to ID the ratio. Couldnt get my fat head past those awesome traction bars.

IMG_1761[1].JPG IMG_1762[1].JPG IMG_1764[1].JPG

There's been a relatively recent movement in favor of the 742, arguing the larger pinion bearing makes up for the beefier nature in general of the much lauded 489 case.

That will work in your favor.

What are you replacing it with?

Im just selling it. Trying to make a few bucks to buy other parts for the new 66. It will come out of my rust bucket. I have a 489 case, 3:23 ring and pinion and a sure grip that I could use a install kit for. New bearings,spacers etc etc

I just poked my head under the car with a drill and a wire wheel its a 742 case. No tags to ID the ratio.

If it were me, I would slide a jack under the pig and raise it up. Give the right tire a spin and see if you have an open or suregrip. Opposite tire turns opposite way equals open, opposite tire turning the same direction equals suregrip. You can also check the gear ratio by doing that. It may not be exact science, but it will certainly put you in the ballpark of knowing what it is.

If, for some reason, it happens to be a suregrip and IF it had more desirable gears, it would put the center section alone in the 400 to 450 range, and the whole rear in the 700 range maybe a bit more depending if someone just has to have it, lol.

If it were me, I would slide a jack under the pig and raise it up. Give the right tire a spin and see if you have an open or suregrip. Opposite tire turns opposite way equals open, opposite tire turning the same direction equals suregrip. You can also check the gear ratio by doing that. It may not be exact science, but it will certainly put you in the ballpark of knowing what it is.

If, for some reason, it happens to be a suregrip and IF it had more desirable gears, it would put the center section alone in the 400 to 450 range, and the whole rear in the 700 range maybe a bit more depending if someone just has to have it, lol.
I know for sure they spin opposite. I will check the ratio in a bit. With the lakewood traction bars it should be worth 1200 as it sits. lol

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back