• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Belvedere ... Power Steering Coupler replacement

Hemi 354

Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question regarding replacing the power steering coupler on my 66.

When replacing the steering coupler, do you have to slide/pull the steering shaft (up through the steering wheel) so that the coupler can be installed? I need to have mine replaced due to age and slop, and the mechanic said that it could be done without sliding that shaft. I find that a little hard to believe since it appears to be a solid shaft, but tell me if I'm off base.
Thanks

Unbolt the column from the bottom side of dash,also the bolts that hold it to the firewall, Do not collapse the shaft. Once you do this knock out the roll pin in the coupler that goes through the steering gear. You should be able to pull the column into the car enough to swap out the coupler with out collapsing the shaft.

That's what I was thinking -- although I don't have a collapsible shaft on the 66 (I believe that started in '67). Sound easy enough to do accomplish without too much difficulty. With that, then I suppose you could just leave the steering wheel in-place and pull the entire steering column back a few inches like you said.
My hat's off to you !!
Thanks

That's what I was thinking -- although I don't have a collapsible shaft on the 66 (I believe that started in '67). Sound easy enough to do accomplish without too much difficulty. With that, then I suppose you could just leave the steering wheel in-place and pull the entire steering column back a few inches like you said.
My hat's off to you !!
Thanks

66 Belvedere II.JPG

Wasn’t sure when they started the collapsing column but the procedure is the same. Good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back