• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Belvedere Tail Gate Repair - HELP!

mustbemad

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
After my electric rear tailgate motor finally packed in, I had to strip the whole lot so decided to investigate the bad body repairs at the bottom. The attached is the horror I found! A LOT of Bondo, and no metal.....

Has anyone tried this repair, or got any pictures of a removed tailgate that I can use as reference? It is both the inner and outer skins. The previous repair was just square u-section pop riveted over it all and filled over.

Thanks!
Tailgate.jpg

I am trying to figure out how to get the tailgate off of a 69 Plymouth Belvedere wagon, it has a lot of problems on the bottom as well.

Looks like you need to find another tailgate. I'm not parting with this one. I'm hoping this one can be fixed and used to replace the tailgate on one of mine thats as bad as yours.
DSCN5340.JPG
DSCN5341.JPG
DSCN5342.JPG
DSCN5343.JPG
DSCN5344.JPG
DSCN5345.JPG
DSCN5346.JPG
DSCN5347.JPG
DSCN5348.JPG

Wow! Those photos are excellent. Thanks :)

I doubt there is another decent Belvedere tailgate out there (!) and I'm in the UK, so a double-whammy. My wagon isn't ever going to be a concours winner, so I'll fabricate well enough for a decent repair. Your photos will be a real help:thumbsup:

I am trying to figure out how to get the tailgate off of a 69 Plymouth Belvedere wagon, it has a lot of problems on the bottom as well.
If it's the same as mine, undo the torsion bar brackets (be careful, the passenger side will spring out) then the hinges at the pillars and one on the drivers side on the tail gate and the whole lot pulls out above the bumper.''

Wow! Those photos are excellent. Thanks :)

I doubt there is another decent Belvedere tailgate out there (!) and I'm in the UK, so a double-whammy. My wagon isn't ever going to be a concours winner, so I'll fabricate well enough for a decent repair. Your photos will be a real help:thumbsup:

Try Wildcat Auto Wrecking in Oregon, and Stephen's Performance. Those two might be possibilities. If you need any more photos or measurements, let me know.

If it's the same as mine, undo the torsion bar brackets (be careful, the passenger side will spring out) then the hinges at the pillars and one on the drivers side on the tail gate and the whole lot pulls out above the bumper.''

The 69 appears to be a bit different but I think the concept is the same. I appreciate the information

Try Wildcat Auto Wrecking in Oregon, and Stephen's Performance. Those two might be possibilities. If you need any more photos or measurements, let me know.

Hi Jim,
When ever you get a chance, could you let me know the measurements in the photos below? And a couple more photos of the corners. You don't realise how
useful these photos have been!

Thanks again,

Gerry
20201113_075657.jpg
o
20201113_075649.jpg

20201113_075642.jpg

66/67 is fold down only.

68-70 is fold down or swing left (driver's side).

Hope this helps. The 8 3/4" measurement ends at a rounded lower edge rather than a straight edge, so it may not be exact. The drop off near the bottom is about 1/4" which you should keep in mind when you consider the measurement for the thickness at the bottom. Let me know if you need more.
DSCN5349.JPG
DSCN5351.JPG
DSCN5352.JPG
DSCN5353.JPG
DSCN5354.JPG
DSCN5355.JPG
DSCN5356.JPG
DSCN5358.JPG
DSCN5359.JPG
DSCN5360.JPG

Both of my wagons are 67s. The tailgate currently on my white wagon is so bad, the tailgate glass is the only thing keeping it from falling off the car. When you put the window up, the tailgate is pushed down a bit when the window hits the weatherstrip at the top.
As for the tan wagon, I sent the monster tailgate window motor to Topher McGinnis to rebuild because I was afraid of getting the car back together and then running the risk of having the window motor fail. He expects to be ready to ship it back to me this week, so reassembly might just start this winter.
DSCN5364.JPG
DSCN5365.JPG

Last edited:
If you can not locate a tail gate you may be able to cut some patch panels from a pickup tail gate if the depth / outer skin to inner is close.
As long as you have the hinge and latch hardware you can always open up the patch panels and double or plate inside if needed.
Good luck , that looks like a project.

Work in progress!

Thanks again,Jim 68Cuda, your measurements have been a life saver!

It is in really bad shape, but slowly getting there with limited tools!
20201118_110956.jpg
20201117_211354.jpg

As Lucky Costa of Hot Rod Garage fame says:
'Using CAD to help - Cardboard Aided Design:thumbsup:'
20201117_111553.jpg

This has been a labour of love! These tailgates really know how to rust:(

First coat of primer filler to see how the bottom edge looks - lots of correction to do, but slowly getting there.

Tailgate.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back