• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Charger - best / easiest rewiring kit?

jmbass98

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
I know the basics of running wire (got crimps, heat gun, etc.). But I'm no expert, and looking for something extremely modular and simple.

Would I be able to rewire one thing at a time? Engine bay one day, then dash another, then rest of body another, etc.? Or do I have to do it all in one go?

Also, do I have to remove the dash completely to rewire the gauge cluster (fixing electroluminescent lights, mainly) and rest of the dash, or is it all relatively accessible from the bottom?

Edit: If I do have to remove the dash, how difficult of a process is that? What kind of hours am I looking at for a first-timer for the whole project? Thanks.

M&H Wiring. Only place to get it is YearOne. You can buy the several individual harnesses and install one at a time. The most factory correct harnesses on the market. Plug and play.

I recommend a colored wiring diagram for the vehicle you're working on. Search Amazon for one. They come in 2 sizes and are laminated.

What do you have? How bad is your wiring? You should get a copy of the factory service manual.
I don’t know a lot, you should have a

headlight harness, engine bay harness, dash harness, console harness, body harness and rear harness.
If your EL works, take the cluster out and get someone knowledgeable that can guide you to changing it to an external limiter. Lots of information on various sites. As far as I can understand it could cost over 1000.00 to redo the gauges.
Hopefully someone will give you guidance.

National Moparts, also sell the M&H wiring harnesses.
To take the dash out, you have to remove the windshield. If the windshield is good, doesn’t leak I would leave it. You can install the dash wiring in the car.

National Moparts, also sell the M&H wiring harnesses.
To take the dash out, you have to remove the windshield. If the windshield is good, doesn’t leak I would leave it. You can install the dash wiring in the car.
Take the front seats out and the console makes it easier laying on your back if you choose not to remove the dash.

I did the year one/m&h dash harness, worked out well. I am driving it and will replace the engine harness as well as the light harnesses over the winter w/ the M&H (so it all works together well). So yes, you can do 1 harness at a time. It adds up to a chunk of change but better than a wiring harness fire.

Auto Transport Service
Back