• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger center column wiring question

GassMann

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,

I rebuilt my wiring harness manually a few years ago and it has been sitting in a box till now. Finally getting to install the interior of my 66 and am seeing a challenge/mystery that I hope someone can help with. I have all the wiring connectors figured out except a white and gray lead pair. When I rebuilt the harness... replacing one wire at a time, I terminated each one as the old one was. However, I have a gray and white lead without termination and my old head can't remember why I didn't or where they go.

Wiring diagram shows a round device (noted in green) but I have no clue what that is unless it is the actual electroluminescent switch but that is in the light switch. I am thinking these were for a variant of the 66 but simply not sure and before I put power to the circuit, I want to double check.

All other wires have homes and are connected... glove box switch and light, ground wires, neutral switch, automatic luminescent light and center pillar lights.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1654965786118.png

1654966364334.png

Maybe a console mounted tach?

Last edited:
That is the console wiring diagram, the 66-67 Chargers come standard with a tach in the dash, they had an optional console mounted clock.

On this Charger, the tach sending unit is mounted under the glove box but I have seen pictures where it is mounted in front of the center column. I think the clock would have been simple power and ground but an alt location for a tach would have been luminescent. I bet that's what it was for and since I didn't have a tach down there, no need for the connectors.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one mate... thanks. :thumbsup:

Still need lights in the clock To see it at night. Plus power and ground, so 3 wires. Nothing for the tach in the console on a 66-67 Charger.

R413... your right... didn't think about that. It could be for the clock as well. I don't know if the clock was electroluminescent though. Either way, I don't think the wires are used so I will just cap them off.

White wires if they are factory are ALWAYS for EL and high voltage. 66 had a EL clock and 67 was bulb (12v).
Also the shift indicator was EL 66, bulb 67 if factory.

Auto Transport Service
Back