• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger clock question

Skatpak

Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
I have 2 clocks for 66 chargers, they reset them selves at different intervals, i can find any info anywhere in any manual as to what the reset time is. Does anyone know for a fact how often the points should snap open and how long to run down till they snap open again? if so how is that time adjusted?

I don't think the interval that the points opening is that critical to timekeeping, it's mainly to keep the balance wheel in motion.

I have 2 clocks for 66 chargers, they reset them selves at different intervals, i can find any info anywhere in any manual as to what the reset time is. Does anyone know for a fact how often the points should snap open and how long to run down till they snap open again? if so how is that time adjusted?

I always thought that clock's main spring was rewound ~ every 5 - 10 minutes, when the re-wind points closed. The time keeping mechanism main spring, winds down, re-wind points close, main spring re-winds, re-wind points open, cycle repeats. The re-wind cycle of ~ 5-10 minutes I don't believe is adjustable.....its strictly a mechanical function......just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

I always thought that clock's main spring was rewound ~ every 5 - 10 minutes, when the re-wind points closed. The time keeping mechanism main spring, winds down, re-wind points close, main spring re-winds, re-wind points open, cycle repeats. The re-wind cycle of ~ 5-10 minutes I don't believe is adjustable.....its strictly a mechanical function......just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON
OK thank you

There is a regulator that is connected to the hairspring, which adjusts the length, thereby forcing the balance wheel to oscillate faster or slower.

There is a regulator that is connected to the hairspring, which adjusts the length, thereby forcing the balance wheel to oscillate faster or slower.
Is it adjustable? And how long should it take for points open to points open?

From the several that I have worked on the intervals vary. As long as the points open and keep the balance wheel oscillating it will run. These were made that with time correction via adjusting knob it moves the regulator in the direction needed to speed up or slow down the balance wheel, but with anything 50+ years old, that feature may not work as well as it did years ago. I haven't timed it lately but the clock in the Charger rewinds maybe every minute or two and still runs fine for the last 15 years.

True.....that adjustment is called the ESCAPEMENT, which controls the tension on the balance wheel's speed of oscillation, hence the accuracy of the time keeping. Sometimes, this spring has a bi-metal component thst "automatically" regulates the escapement's tension to correct timekeeping to ambient temp. ......long b4 the days of quartz or digital devices....
BOB RENTON

20211120_100223.jpg

In the case of our older mopars there is a moveable mechanical arm that contacts the hairspring for added or reduced tension. This arm is designed to move in the direction needed during manual time corrections. It may take a number of adjustments until the wheel speed is correct.

I really appreciate the info. Both clocks supprislingly keep accurate time. After 20 min of running they both are right on. 1 clock with my stopwatch and human delay seems to reset every 2 min 17 sec the other resetsbevery 1 min and 50 sec. I'm better off just leaving alone as I dont want to damage anything and I'm gathering this is normal.

View attachment 1196161
In the case of our older mopars there is a moveable mechanical arm that contacts the hairspring for added or reduced tension. This arm is designed to move in the direction needed during manual time corrections. It may take a number of adjustments until the wheel speed is correct.

GREAT PIX.....aren't mechanical mechanisms wonderful.....how would like to make the assembly drawing of the clock, complete with gear mesh centerlines.....not....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back