• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 charger factory tach and msd ignition? Help

400sforever

Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 charger with a msd ignition. How do I get the factory tach to work with this ignition? I've heard it's possible with an adapter of some Kind?

I have the same question, so I'll be watching.

Good to know. .im sure someone has it figured out

I have a 66 charger with a msd ignition. How do I get the factory tach to work with this ignition? I've heard it's possible with an adapter of some Kind?

Before spending money on something that may or may not work have you thought about pulling the gauges and sending them to thegagedoc for the RTE tach upgrade?
Paid an done and should work with anything.
May be more trouble than you want to go to , of course.

I could do that. .it hasn't been restored yet. Just driving as is since I got it running. I just wanted to see what my options were. .thanks!

I have a 67 that has the supply built in for the tach but that is the only difference. I had tried the convert to no points (I forget the name) and had been warned about it. I never could get it to work with the tach. The company was cordial enough to accept a return and I went with the Mopar orange ECU and conversion kit. Works perfectly, no adaptation needed.
Never looked back. Just my 2 cents.

The old OE tach boards will not work with MSD ignition. The new solid state boards from Real Time Engineering will. The boards (64-66) work with the external sending unit found on our 66's. The other style (67-74) will work with the integral board inside the tach on our 67's. Only boards I use for my restoration work.

Thanks,

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back