• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 66 Charger intake help

Status
Not open for further replies.

66DodgeCharger

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Jesse and I have a 1966 Dodge Charger with a 361 engine witch needs a new carb but since I need a new carb I want to up grade to a 4 barrel and with that comes a new intake. I have done my research on "new" (stock) intakes for the Charger because I dont have a lot of cash and I want to make the car run! The intake casting number that came off the car is 2205737 witch came on a 361 and a 383 engines. Since I want to upgrade to a 4 barrel I was researching stock 4 barrels intakes that would fit a 66 Charger with a 361 and I think I found the right one, the casting number is 2205968 witch would fit a 361 and 383 as far as i understand. Would this intake fit on my 66 Charger with a 361 engine or do I need to keep researching? Any Mopar Gear Head out there that could help me out?!

Hello Jesse I have a 5968 intake manifold that came off my 66 383 if your interested I can send pics and a price, and yes this will fit and stay factory stock look a year appropriate.

361 is the smallest of the Mopar 'low' big blocks...any low block intake will fit. High block (413, 426, 440) intakes, won't.

Welcome got any pics of your car

Hi, I'm Jesse and I have a 1966 Dodge Charger with a 361 engine witch needs a new carb but since I need a new carb I want to up grade to a 4 barrel and with that comes a new intake. I have done my research on "new" (stock) intakes for the Charger because I dont have a lot of cash and I want to make the car run! The intake casting number that came off the car is 2205737 witch came on a 361 and a 383 engines. Since I want to upgrade to a 4 barrel I was researching stock 4 barrels intakes that would fit a 66 Charger with a 361 and I think I found the right one, the casting number is 2205968 witch would fit a 361 and 383 as far as i understand. Would this intake fit on my 66 Charger with a 361 engine or do I need to keep researching? Any Mopar Gear Head out there that could help me out?!
Have a couple intakes if you are still looking. Start a conversation for more info.

Any 361, 383 or 400 intake will fit & they made a lot of 383 4-barrel motors. Any year will work. Get a "square bore" (all carb holes the same size) for "square bore" carburetors (most common) or a "spread bore" (bigger holes in back) for spread bore carbs.

Don't use a 66-67 383 intake as they are junk for flow. 1968 and up will work best. If you can find a thermoquad intake off a 400 those fit and actually flow the best of all factory 4bbl intakes. First hand knowledge using them in a specific race class. Take the center out of them and make it look square on the inside. leave the dividing wall 5/8 tall. You should be able to find any of these intakes for 25.00-35.00 max

361 is the smallest of the Mopar 'low' big blocks...any low block intake will fit. High block (413, 426, 440) intakes, won't.

Not t be a jerk but that would be a 350 "B" engine.

Thanks for the information every one sorry I haven't had a chance to respond till now i'm still in school.Would upgrading to a 4 barrel carb "hurt" the engine because there is more air flow and it would make the engine work harder fast? Also the car has been sitting for like 20 years or something and the engine is all gunked up, what do I used to get rid of that cap in the engine? I heard that you can use like 2 quarts of diesel fuel and the rest oil and then let it run for about 30 min and the change everything out... Would upgrading to a 4 barrel carb "hurt" the engine because there is more air flow and it would make the engine work harder fast? The car is missing a few odds and end but for the most part its all together! The car has been washed since I got it so all the moss is gone that you see I just haven't taken recent pictures...

IMG_2389.JPG

No the 4 barrel will help the performance of the engine. The 361 was a small big block but it has good bore size. Really the best thing is to pull the engine and tear it apart. If you have the money let the machine shop clean it, if money is low then take it out clean with oven cleaner, kerosene any kind of degreaser. If money is real low (I have done this because I had to) while the engine i still in the car, take the intake off, heads take out the oil pan drain bolt, lifters (cam swap would be good to do now too) and clean the top lifter valley area with a degreaser and then wash it down through the oil pan and out the drain hole. Once done tap the head bolt holes out, intake manifold bolts out and reassemble with new gaskets. If you do the cam swap change the timing chain also. If you change the cam with the engine still in the car remove the front grill, radiator then you can access the front of the engine to remove timing cover and slide the cam right out. This is the poor man's way to rebuild an engine but it does work good if funds and room are hard to come by.

I seriously would just simply change all fluids and tune up the engine. And that's it. Drive it around for a while and let it run and work a little. Run it a few thousand miles and keep checking the fluid levels.

You'll be amazed at how well it like to run and drive the more and longer you drive it. My old 400 sat for a good spell and it just took to the road no problem.

Repair what's needed to run it and worry not until it needs it. IMO there is no sense to break it down now because "You Think!" It has gunk inside of it. Change the fluids and filters and drive it!

I wish I could tare apart the car, i just don't have much money but I am planning on rebuilding the engine in at least 5 years and by the ill know a lot more about engines. You guys have been such a great help, once i get the parts and up and running ill let you guys know and take more pictures!

Change the fluids for now and drive it. Use some Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic, change tranny fluid and radiator fluid as well. These are tough engines.

I know some of you said that you have 4 barrel intakes that would fit my engine, and I was wondering if you have a 4 barrel carb to go along with it, and how much all of it would be if you have both. Also I live in Central Wisconsin, Mosinee WI 54455.

I just have intakes and I live in North Carolina so the shipping would probably be more than the intake.

I know some of you said that you have 4 barrel intakes that would fit my engine, and I was wondering if you have a 4 barrel carb to go along with it, and how much all of it would be if you have both. Also I live in Central Wisconsin, Mosinee WI 54455.[/QU
---Problem is shipping.....cast iron intakes are heavy...Check Craigs list and ebay.....If aluminum, Invest in an edelbrock performer rpm or the mopar performance equivalent. Look for a used Carter/Edelbrock AFB, AVS in 750cfm

A Edelbrock Performer or the like would be excellent. A 600/650 cfm carb would be excellent as well.
An Edelbrock 650 Thunder series or a Holley VS carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back