• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(66 charger LA318) Need advice on timing and other ignition aspects

Ben Zajd

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Hey, so I am new to working on cars, (I am 27, and my father was not really a grease monkey so I only learned car maintenance basics from him). I am learning as I go here so bear with me, but need some help with my timing (sorry in advance if I provide over information but i feel like its better to cause less questions from those trying to help me than when most people don't provide enough information lol).
Background on car/issue: I have recently bought a 1966 Dodge Charger, non original LA318 (assembly date on block is Nov 1976). I have plans to redo everything and drop a 360 in it down the rd, but want to get it reliably driveable until i build the 360. I have been doing a lot of maintenance on the vehicle that has been neglected. But it still runs like crap. Feels sluggish at anything above 3,000 rpm. I don't think my carb is working properly (old Carter 2 barrel), the mix screws don't appear to do jack, and to keep the engine running when putting it into gear i have to have the idle basically turned all the way up else i have to two foot it on the gas and the brake to keep the rpms up when I come to a stop. I do know there is a small vacuum leak on one corner of the gasket seal between the carb and manifold after doing the carb cleaner spritz test, but I'm unsure of the state of the carb components anyways and likely needs a rebuild, in the meantime while I learn how to do a carb rebuild, I happen to have a brand new 4 barrel edelbrock carb sitting in a box that I am going to put on it with a 4 barrel to 2 barrel adapter plate (not looking for a lecture here about this, been told there should be no problem doing this especially since I am not really looking to throw performance parts on the 318 that this carb setup would hold back, and just as long as I turn off two of the jets it should be fine to run so I can take my time learning to rebuild a carb on the carter and still be able to cruise around). However, Someone mentioned I should make sure my timing is right first though.

I've researched and understand the principals of timing so no need to explain basics and I have the tools and tape set on the balancer. What I need help with is what should my total mechanical timing be set to and what would be a good initial timing be after that is set? Not being sure what is original in the engine bay on this car I am having trouble figuring that out. I am unsure of what the mechanical advance and the advance curve is on the distributor currently but I can calculate that out once I get home today. (I do not know if the distributor is stock or if someone has messed with the springs or bushings)

Another question i have before I can even be ready to set my timing though, does anyone have any tips on freeing a stuck distributor lock down bolt? been using PB blaster on it the last 36 hours and I have already twisted one distributor wrench (damn thing twisted by like 20+ degrees on me and would have snapped if i didn't realize it was happening, going to see if advance auto parts will take it back). I am afraid of rounding the head or even busting the head clean off if I try anything with more gusto like a swivel socket and breaker bar.

Also ran into a new issue that also seems to be due to ignition in some way and wonder if anyone has any ideas if adjusting my timing would fix it: I replaced the cap, rotor, wires and plugs the first week i got the car, car seemed to run a touch better as would be expected, however in knowing i was going to work on the timing this week I just replaced the points this past weekend (made sure they were correct and is gaped perfectly to specs {0.017} ). After starting it back up I am now getting a slight popping/backfire sound in the exhaust on passenger side, it is a positive pressure pop. All that changed was replacing the points. I double checked the spark wire connections too to make sure i didn't knock anything loose when i had the cap off. I had a suspicion something was off ignition wise before I began messing with anything because the spark plugs i pulled out when i first got it were all blackened, with the 6 and 8 cylinder being the worst and even having a concerning amount of gritty particle buildup on it (was sandy in size and texture). so that combined with the now new issue of backfire/popping noise on passenger exhaust leads me back to an ignition and fuel burn issue.

Just a quick suggestion or two as I read through you post.
(All I've got time for right now).
Your Carter 2 barrel was not very good when new.
I would not waste my time on it.
It MAY be causing some of your problems.
You have a good 4 barrel carb?
IF you are SURE you will put a 360 in at some point, why not go ahead and spring for a good 4 barell intake.
It will be usable on the 360.
You probably know the 360 will be externally balanced.
Your 318 is internally.
So you will need a new torque converter for it.

Gasket material is cheap. That & razor blade/ scissors and you will have vacuum leak fixed. Then it may very well idle on it's own.
While it's running turn one mixture screw all the way in (not hard, just till it stops. Unscrew 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns...then do the other.
As for popping/ backfire...having even just two wires out sequence on the cap will cause intermittent backfire sounds. Most of us have done it at least once. Triple check your wires (firing order).

Work the easy things before digging deep on problems. Good luck, sounds like a nice project.

Likewise on the intake, it may also fix ur vacuum leak, which has to be dealt with first anyway. If everything is stock now then I would set idle timing(vac. advance disconnected&plugged) at 0*-5* before TDC. and see what it runs like, don't need to necessarily worry about total timing at this stage of the game.

Oops didn't finish, "Blaster" usually works pretty good so you might need a little around the cast iron area close to the bolt, not on the bolt or it'll probably snap; sounds like it's in there pretty tight.

Just a quick suggestion or two as I read through you post.
(All I've got time for right now).
Your Carter 2 barrel was not very good when new.
I would not waste my time on it.
It MAY be causing some of your problems.
You have a good 4 barrel carb?
IF you are SURE you will put a 360 in at some point, why not go ahead and spring for a good 4 barell intake.
It will be usable on the 360.
You probably know the 360 will be externally balanced.
Your 318 is internally.
So you will need a new torque converter for it.
So you are saying don't bother with rebuilding the carter and just junk it then lol. I'll keep that in mind.
Yes It is a brand new Edelbrock 600 CFM performer 4 Barrel with an electric choke.
I have thought about swapping the intake manifold previously but opted to hold for now because I would either have to get an intake designed for the 318 and then when i use that on the 360 i will have to port the heads, and if I get one designed for the 360 now I will have to port the heads on the 318. Now going off topic of the thread, but how involved is it to port the heads to the intake manifold? I am not looking to go really deep on messing with this 318, as I want to just get it running smooth so I can spend my time and money on building the 360 on the side.
Also yes I am aware of the internal vs external balancing, my plan was to just get a weight kit and weld on the weights instead of springing for a whole new torque converter, much cheaper IMO.

Gasket material is cheap. That & razor blade/ scissors and you will have vacuum leak fixed. Then it may very well idle on it's own.
While it's running turn one mixture screw all the way in (not hard, just till it stops. Unscrew 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns...then do the other.
As for popping/ backfire...having even just two wires out sequence on the cap will cause intermittent backfire sounds. Most of us have done it at least once. Triple check your wires (firing order).

Work the easy things before digging deep on problems. Good luck, sounds like a nice project.
Yeah, but I am pretty sure the carb is crap, doesn't look like its been touched in 20+ years, and if I am ripping it off anyways to change the gasket material I might as well go ahead and put a carb on that I know is in perfect working condition.
Thanks for the advice on the firing order. I triple checked and everything is exactly as it should be. still having the backfire/popping issue.

Fix the vacuum leaks! Carbs use the 'venturi principle'. No, or low vacuum, and the carb is not working.

The Carter BBD can be problematic. The air horn assembly can warp oh so slightly and the carb will be unhappy. Having said that, you probably can get it running very well by covering all of the simple stuff first.

Idle adjust screws should be doing something at idle. Focus on vacuum leaks first. Get back to us with updates.

Whoops my previous post forgot to add a little heat on the manifold right close to dist.bolt. My brain went faster than my fingers.

Auto Transport Service
Back