• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger rocker trim clips

Maxrat

Local time
3:52 AM
Reaction score
Is it just me or is anyone else finding that the rocker trim clips available don't work? Either that or I'm going crazy. I ordered two sets of clips -- when screwed to the rocker panel the top that hooks to the stainless trim is way too tight against the body. It would definitely scratch the paint trying to push the stainless trim into the clips. I turned the clips around and then they're too loose. I can't find any anywhere that look like the originals.

So you have some originals to compare them against, I understand?
I left the rocker trim off and probably have some of the original ones.
What trim I did put back on the car, I tried to put something between it and the paint if it looked like the trim would damage the paint for that very reason.

What trim I did put back on the car, I tried to put something between it and the paint if it looked like the trim would damage the paint for that very reason.
I'll put some pictures of originals up later. If you do have some originals I'd be interested.

put a little spacer behind the clip to hold it out .a little piece sheet metal half inch square with a hole in it

Are you sure you have correct 66 or 67 rocker trim? I have not had issue with rt specialties clips on any 66/67 ive done this past year

5ADE9B6D-35C6-4769-909F-DB9E67BBDA35.jpeg 24E3BEEB-88F6-4DCC-904E-CE9992C1BE09.jpeg

If you can post a picture of the originals and the reproductions that your using, I would be interested in viewing them. We have sold multiple sets, so I am wondering if there is a different one on the market. I know that the 67 Plymouth clip that everyone sells is actually a 67 to 72 Ford truck clip, but it actually works semi well. Thanks for your assistance.

put a little spacer behind the clip to hold it out .a little piece sheet metal half inch square with a hole in it
If you can post a picture of the originals and the reproductions that your using, I would be interested in viewing them. We have sold multiple sets, so I am wondering if there is a different one on the market. I know that the 67 Plymouth clip that everyone sells is actually a 67 to 72 Ford truck clip, but it actually works semi well. Thanks for your assistance.
This is an original 1966 Charger rocker panel stainless steel molding clip. The portion that hold the weight of the trim goes pretty much straight up. The reproductions angle badly toward the body. As someone said earlier, the only way to make them work is to shim them out. I looked at rt specialty clips and they are the ones that aren't correct -- you'd scratch the paint badly trying to force the trim down onto the clips. I bought a set from The Mopar Shop and they were also engineered incorrectly.

005.JPG 006.JPG 004.JPG

Thanks for the pictures. I now see the differences between the originals and reproductions. I only know of two different people doing these clips and they are basically copies of each others and would have the same issue that your experiencing.

It's hard to believe this hasn't been a bigger issue. As far as I know, the stainless rocker molding on the 1966 Charger is the same as the 1967 Charger and the 1967 GTX. A lot of those restorations have been done -- are people shimming the incorrect reproductions, forcing the stainless past the clip scratching paint, or what. I'm now looking for a minimum of six original clips. I was fortunate -- during removal I only broke six.

Last edited:
If you have any left I'd be interested. I posted some pictures of the originals in a post above.

We are in the process of redoing some of the clips using more modern technology. Many of these clips were done years ago using 30 year old technology and with each run, you can experience slight issues with tooling or materials which impacts the final product. Unfortunately, this clip is not on the list to be evaluated this year, so your pretty much left with trying to locate good used ones or as others suggested, shim the clip out. Would it be possible to use a nylon sheet shim that would be less likely to scratch the paint and possibly rust, leaving a stain in the paint.

I removed several from a Coronet I was parting if you are still looking.
I'm not sure if the Coronet had the same clips. Can you put up pictures -- if they are the same I could use them.

Clip 6001492 (10 clips) and Clip 6001786 (8 clips) are the numbers, and as far as I can tell, only the Coronet RT had the same clips.

So, for any vendors out there, nobody (and I mean nobody) is selling the correct rocker panel clips for 1966/67 Charger, 1966/67 Coronet R/T, or 1967 GTX. And, for the existing clips out there (that don't work) -- all vendors should remove advertising for these cars.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back