• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 charger Roll Away Head Light assembly will not rotate !

relam

Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a Southern California region auto repair electrician who are capable of tackling these old set up's ? I know this is a regional thing, just throwing it out there that someone is in this area that can recommend a good repair shop. So far most of the local repair places don't want to touch it.
My son will be finishing up his Marine boot camp in 5 weeks and wanted to surprise the future Marine. The lights and motors are fully functional, new everything, relays in glove box,
light switch, i have cleaned and sanded every metal contact i could find. We can overide by contacting the motors direct to battery and the motors rotate.
any suggestions much appreciated

Sounds like a bad wire. ??? I would check the connects and wires.

IF your able to bypass and directly control the motors then I would take a look at your switch

What about the limit switches? Cleaned those also? How about the wire harness plug in front of the battery? is it clean and making contact!

A shop ain’t gonna do any more than you can do, other than reach up a big bill for you.

You can trouble shoot it yourself by using the print information here.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/rotating-headlight-relay-modification.135356/
I wonder if this ^^^^ thread might be made a sticky?

A general rule is that if one side works but not the other that rules out the limit switches and relays since they operate both sides.
If neither side works then it is most likely those old relays.
What did you replace them with?
I think "headlight motor man" makes an adaptive harness for to drop in new style Bosch relays since the old ones are not readily available if at all.

I have seen restorations where someone put a longer screw than it should be around the grille area, stopping the the light from rotating. Check those if the motors are working. Do you know how to jump them?

I have seen restorations where someone put a longer screw than it should be around the grille area, stopping the the light from rotating. Check those if the motors are working. Do you know how to jump them?
Yes. We are able to jump them so they will rotate and the head lamps come on.

You can trouble shoot it yourself by using the print information here.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/rotating-headlight-relay-modification.135356/
I wonder if this ^^^^ thread might be made a sticky?

A general rule is that if one side works but not the other that rules out the limit switches and relays since they operate both sides.
If neither side works then it is most likely those old relays.
What did you replace them with?
I think "headlight motor man" makes an adaptive harness for to drop in new style Bosch relays since the old ones are not readily available if at all.
I did replace with the new ones. I did clean all the relays. Checked connections at the motors and cleaned them
I can’t remember the area around the battery though. I will check

I did replace with the new ones. I did clean all the relays. Checked connections at the motors and cleaned them
I can’t remember the area around the battery though. I will check

What about the circuit breaker behind the driver side kick panal

Yep, that was my next suggestion. Mine was shot and it took forever to find it until someone told me where it was. NAPA breaker and a zip tie, good as new. 2586954 is the part number.

Did you check the circuit breaker inside the drivers side kick panel?

Auto Transport Service
Back