• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger Stainless Trim -- Tired of Polishing?

Maxrat

Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
How much trim does a car have? My gosh! I stripped down my 66 Charger two years ago to get it painted and I'm still finding stainless trim to polish. The trim never ends -- a never ending stream of steel. But, I must say, I've gotten really good at taking out dents and scratches and polishing that metal until I can see myself. Actually, my goal for every piece is to polish it until I can see individual hairs on my head. I think this car is going to look really good when it's done. Later I'll have to tackle the 440 cu. inch rear main seal leak and the persistent wander in the steering -- even after replacing ever component in the front end you can replace -- even the rag joint and steering gear box.

We are just putting the trim back on my car and I can honestly say the time spent on the wheel was well worth the reward. Every time I was buffing I thought my back/neck was broken from looking down. It really makes the paint pop. The details are what separate each car.

EB581381-02D6-4207-BEBA-217A7F88865C.jpeg C74DFC2A-D715-4288-8BE3-FB3F81AA4F1A.jpeg

We are just putting the trim back on my car and I can honestly say the time spent on the wheel was well worth the reward. Every time I was buffing I thought my back/neck was broken from looking down. It really makes the paint pop. The details are what separate each car.

View attachment 938094 View attachment 938095

Any tips on installing the drip rail trim without bending?

Whenever I start putting mine on I will do the reverse of taking it off. I will hang the top on and then work the bottom over the lip carefully by hand.
I am sure there will be other ideas.

Top edge on first then it’s a pushing down while using a down and toward inside of car motion. Bump down with your palm.

Put a light film of grease or Vaseline on the bottom of the drip rail before you start installing the trim.

How much trim does a car have? My gosh! I stripped down my 66 Charger two years ago to get it painted and I'm still finding stainless trim to polish. The trim never ends -- a never ending stream of steel. But, I must say, I've gotten really good at taking out dents and scratches and polishing that metal until I can see myself. Actually, my goal for every piece is to polish it until I can see individual hairs on my head. I think this car is going to look really good when it's done. Later I'll have to tackle the 440 cu. inch rear main seal leak and the persistent wander in the steering -- even after replacing ever component in the front end you can replace -- even the rag joint and steering gear box.
whats you process for fixing/polishing the chrome?

whats you process for fixing/polishing the chrome?

Without writing a page of directions watch YouTube. You will need a good bench grinder (1/2 hp or larger) on a pedestal stand. Eastwood sells the tools to remove pings and dents. I did send 2 pieces off to a guy because the more I worked with them the worse they looked. Time and Patience are the keys to this task.

Nicely polished stainless trim is a joy to behold. Used to do all my own when I was younger. Now, as my time speeds by, I send it out, especially if it is really dented or damaged. My guy here in Long Beach does work for Chuck Foos and had been doing selected pieces for my '66. It is Artistic Plating (562) 427-0113 and they do a bang-up flawless job. They do miraculous dent removal and straightening. Also great chrome work - no over-buffing or "smearing" of pitted pot metal or detail ground off - they will silver-solder repair holes and get a pristine copper base before proceeding. Also repair and plate aluminum if that's your thing. Not cheap and be prepared to wait - but I have never been disappointed - and I have been disappointed elsewhere a lot! Ask for Sally or Greg.

Nicely polished stainless trim is a joy to behold. Used to do all my own when I was younger. Now, as my time speeds by, I send it out, especially if it is really dented or damaged. My guy here in Long Beach does work for Chuck Foos and had been doing selected pieces for my '66. It is Artistic Plating (562) 427-0113 and they do a bang-up flawless job. They do miraculous dent removal and straightening. Also great chrome work - no over-buffing or "smearing" of pitted pot metal or detail ground off - they will silver-solder repair holes and get a pristine copper base before proceeding. Also repair and plate aluminum if that's your thing. Not cheap and be prepared to wait - but I have never been disappointed - and I have been disappointed elsewhere a lot! Ask for Sally or Greg.

Just curious what do they charge per foot??

It's really by the piece. And it depends on the work required - simple polish of some scuff marks or dent and bend repair. Best way is to contact Sally and ask and then perhaps follow up by sending them a photo with the dimensions of the piece. Then you could get an idea. It's been over a year since I had them do any stainless work and so I'm not sure of the prices and don't want to mislead.

OK so I spoke to Sally. Rule of thumb is $30 per ft. Not cheap (as I mentioned) - but top notch. Remember, this IS California (land of sunshine, fruits & nuts, and high prices).

OK so I spoke to Sally. Rule of thumb is $30 per ft. Not cheap (as I mentioned) - but top notch. Remember, this IS California (land of sunshine, fruits & nuts, and high prices).
Might give them a call myself, I have the chrome piece that goes at the piller bottom of roof on a 66 plym. Got a price of $400 each over on the east coast

Auto Transport Service
Back