• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger sway bar bushings

Rooster27

Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals hope all is well! I bought a set of 1967 charger sway bar bushings because the originals were shot and I was getting getting cluck/knock noise when I would accelerate. All of the bushings are the correct part number and were a bitch to press into the strap that connects to the lower control arm shaft, now my problem.is getting that strap that contains the bushing onto the sway bar. The hole is squished and mush smaller than the bar which is obvious because they are new. The strap and retainer that holds the bushing is welded and I would hate to cut it and re-weld, if re-welding is necessary. Is there any advice on how to get that back on the bar? I have lubed the **** out of it and am now boiling the whole piece in hopes it makes the rubber more plyable.

Last edited:
Generally, the strap goes in the bar first, then the bushing gets pressed on with a pair of good pump pliers. Are these the triangular type? The spot just after the end link end of the bar is smaller in diameter just a bit, then just lube and slide it up the bar.

You can also cut one end and open it up then weld it in place at least with a Poly bushing it worked fine.
We've done it both ways. Yes they are tough to squeeze in two people really helps.

When I re-did my bushings on my 66, the only solution was to cut and tig weld.

So I ended up cutting the reinforcement that is welded in the strap. When I had pressed the bushings in the straps the hole was so squished and small that there was no way it was going to go onto the bar. In the service manyalninhave it shows that reinforcement piece not attached but a separate piece. My guess is that the other piece of that strap that hooks into it via the elongated slot and nut and bolt holds everything together and there will be no need to weld it. So I guess we will see!

20210805_113444.jpg 20210805_113446.jpg 20210805_113841.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back