• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet Rear Seat Muffler Heat Help

SassyPants

Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
Hello Folks, a few days ago, we fired up the Engine in SP to break in the Cam. So, it ran for 20 or so minutes. The exhaust system is Flowmasters (2) that are right under where the Rear Seat would be. I had two moving blankets laying in the back that I use to help with holding the Dash when I drop it down while the engine was running. Anyway, after we shut the car off, I pulled out the moving blankets and boy was I surprised to see they were "Stuck" down. In short, the heat had transferred up through the floor pans in back and was hot enough to melt a bit the moving blankets. Sooo, what to do? One does not want that much heat to be transferring up into the new back seats, so I put down some Duct Insulation that will hopefully protect the seats and those sitting on the seats. Here are the pics. On the Drivers Side, you can see where the Moving Blankets left a bit of stuff. Then in the second pic, you can see how I covered the area with the Duct Insulation. Anyone else have this same problem and do we think this will solve it
IMG_4325.jpg
IMG_4327.jpg
?

I've used that duct insulation before, think that foam backing is likely to melt also. I have 67 coronet and that back floorpan really get hot, especially when just idling. Friend of mine was riding behind me on a motorcycle going down the interstate, he couldn't believe the amount of heat coming off the car .

Hello Folks, a few days ago, we fired up the Engine in SP to break in the Cam. So, it ran for 20 or so minutes. The exhaust system is Flowmasters (2) that are right under where the Rear Seat would be. I had two moving blankets laying in the back that I use to help with holding the Dash when I drop it down while the engine was running. Anyway, after we shut the car off, I pulled out the moving blankets and boy was I surprised to see they were "Stuck" down. In short, the heat had transferred up through the floor pans in back and was hot enough to melt a bit the moving blankets. Sooo, what to do? One does not want that much heat to be transferring up into the new back seats, so I put down some Duct Insulation that will hopefully protect the seats and those sitting on the seats. Here are the pics. On the Drivers Side, you can see where the Moving Blankets left a bit of stuff. Then in the second pic, you can see how I covered the area with the Duct Insulation. Anyone else have this same problem and do we think this will solve itView attachment 945156 View attachment 945157 ?
I want to recommend this product at Amazon.com Thermo-Tec 14130 24" X 48" One Sided Thermo Guard Flame Retardant by Amazon.com Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GFW5Q0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_k3YREbQSD1NGG

I could have written your post, the same thing happened to me, exactly, including the flowmasters and the moving blanket. Except mine melted the thin indoor/outdoor carpet that the moving blanket was sitting on too! I needed to fill out an order to summit to get the free shipping, so i got some heat and sound insulation from them, i just havent put it in yet. I'm not too concerned , the floor got too hot from not enough timing, no airflow, and much higher rpm than normal while sitting, plus mine is primarily a fun bracket car. Im sure the summit stuff will do fine in my application.

When I had my interior gutted, I mixed up a batch of home-brewed Lizard Skin-type paint and coated the entire floor (three coats). Then I applied Kilmat (from Amazon) to the whole floor. A very time-consuming project, but well worth it.

upload_2020-5-9_8-6-16.png

Auto Transport Service
Back