• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 coronet rear tire size

Tim2266ev2

Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
In the process or finishing up my 66.. As everyone knows, they have a pretty tight rear wheel well. I plan on running Weld Draglites, most likely a 15 x 7, unsure of what backspacing to use and what size tire will work well. Something that is as wide as it can be and nothing too tall. What size has everyone else been having luck with? Thanks in advance!

4.5 inch back space with the 275/60/15 with the 15x7 wheel. I have a couple of buddys using a 15x8 with the 4.5 backspace but they rub a little on turns. That is as max as you can get without tubbing the car and moiving the springs in.

I am in the same spot as you! I am now in the process of selecting rims and tires and had the exact same question, so I am glad you asked! (Though for my 66 Charger. Same wheel wells)

A follow up question to 1badstroker; Do the 15 x 8 rims with the 4.5 backspace rub on the inside or outside of the tire? I found a set of American Racing Torq Thrust 2.1 wheels in 15 x 8, but with a 3.79" backspace and an 18mm offset. (Positive offset) I plan on running 275/60/15's. Would this give me any more room on either side of the tire?

66 Charger is NOT the same wheel wells as Coronet.

In the process or finishing up my 66.. As everyone knows, they have a pretty tight rear wheel well. I plan on running Weld Draglites, most likely a 15 x 7, unsure of what backspacing to use and what size tire will work well. Something that is as wide as it can be and nothing too tall. What size has everyone else been having luck with? Thanks in advance!
I had 7's on my 66 Belvedere with 225-75 and they would rub up at the top inside whenever I went into a inclined drive at an angle.

4.5 inch back space with the 275/60/15 with the 15x7 wheel. I have a couple of buddys using a 15x8 with the 4.5 backspace but they rub a little on turns. That is as max as you can get without tubbing the car and moiving the springs in.
Btw, a 15x7 is really too narrow for a 275-60. The tread width is right around 9" (depending on maker) and you should try and keep the wheel size as close to the tread width as possible for best performance and wear. A 1" deviation is generally ok but not 2". If you inflate the tire to recommended inflation, the 275-60 will wear more in the center and will not handle as well when it's on a 7" wheel than when it's on an 8" wheel.....

66 Charger is NOT the same wheel wells as Coronet.

I was not aware of that. With so many other mechanical items between the two cars being interchangeable, I made an assumption that the wheel wells would be the same. But, that is mechanical, not body panels.

Is the Charger wheel well bigger, smaller or just a different shape? I guess I can just go and look at my 2 cars and compare the two.

So...for those with 66 Chargers, what beefy tires and wheels can you stuff under the rear wheel wells and not have an issue with rubbing?

Keep in mind that you won't want anybody in your rear seat with the above tires on the car (assuming it is any B body other than a Charger.) If you want to haul rear seat passengers you will want to step down to a 255/60/15"

And yes, a 66-67 Charger has a MUCH larger rear wheel well.

They rub on the outsides. You can almost forget having any passenger in the car with the big tires. I had a front seat passenger in mine and they rub. I have a 11:50x28x15 ET street on a 15x8 with a 4.5 back space. The 275 is the same or real dam close as the 11:50 tire. I have a spool and they rub on any turns if I go to fast or turn to sharp.

so then to be safe and have no rub whatsoever, what size do you think I should run? Most likely, there will never be any back seat passengers! Is that the rear tires you are running on your 66 in your profile photos? beautiful car, by the way!

I'm running 275/60/15's on my 66 Satty. The rims are 15x8. They are on the car that i use as my avatar. PM me if you want more pics and more detail. I did have a small rub issue but fixed it easy with air shocks.

I was not aware of that. With so many other mechanical items between the two cars being interchangeable, I made an assumption that the wheel wells would be the same. But, that is mechanical, not body panels.

Is the Charger wheel well bigger, smaller or just a different shape? I guess I can just go and look at my 2 cars and compare the two.

So...for those with 66 Chargers, what beefy tires and wheels can you stuff under the rear wheel wells and not have an issue with rubbing?

Charger wheel openings are taller, not sure how much different in width there is.

I'm running 295/50 15's mounted on 10" wheels with a 5" backspace. The do rub a slight bit on the inside when going in a driveway. If taken slow there is no rub.

Here is the link to my wheels.

http://66-67charger.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=110882&page=1

That is the tires on the car in all pictures. I just take it easy on turns. That is when I have my problems because I am running a spool as well.

on my 66 belvedere I'm running 15x7 wheel and the largest tire I could run without any rubbing was a 235-70

Attachments

• aplymouth2.jpg
    aplymouth2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 2,084
on my 66 belvedere I'm running 15x7 wheel and the largest tire I could run without any rubbing was a 235-70

You could run a 255X15" without rubbing if you go to a 60 series profile.

Great looking car by the way.

Keep in mind that you won't want anybody in your rear seat with the above tires on the car (assuming it is any B body other than a Charger.) If you want to haul rear seat passengers you will want to step down to a 255/60/15"

And yes, a 66-67 Charger has a MUCH larger rear wheel well.
Is that 255/60/15 on the 15x7 or 15x8? I want a bigger wider tire in the back and dont know what to go with. And i dont know what size to put up front i was gonna go 15x7 up front and 15x8 on the back

Is that 255/60/15 on the 15x7 or 15x8? I want a bigger wider tire in the back and dont know what to go with. And i dont know what size to put up front i was gonna go 15x7 up front and 15x8 on the back
There’s 11 million threads here on wheel/tire options for these cars. Best advise is measure for yourself before you order anything.

There’s 11 million threads here on wheel/tire options for these cars. Best advise is measure for yourself before you order anything.
There might be 12 million lol. There's also lots of self help guides on the net that tells you how to measure your wheel houses....and this thread is over 8 years old....

Auto Transport Service
Back