• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66' Coronet Super Stock Springs??

tyallis

Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
Guy's,
I've got a set of Super Stock springs on my wish-list, and am stumped on what to do about rear shocks. I just welded in a new [shock mount] rear crossmember and installed new air shocks. Im wondering about Super Stocks because I have to put in too much air to get the rear to sit the way I have in mind. Is there still such a thing as shock extensions? Or is this a "no-no" with air shocks? I would like to keep the option of adjustability with the air shocks, instead of doing a new set of gas shocks. The KYB shocks applicable for the Super Stocks are 24.5'' extended length vs. 22.6'' on the factory replacements (so it would have to be a 2'' extension). Decisions, decisions.... any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Guy's,
I've got a set of Super Stock springs on my wish-list, and am stumped on what to do about rear shocks. I just welded in a new [shock mount] rear crossmember and installed new air shocks. Im wondering about Super Stocks because I have to put in too much air to get the rear to sit the way I have in mind. Is there still such a thing as shock extensions? Or is this a "no-no" with air shocks? I would like to keep the option of adjustability with the air shocks, instead of doing a new set of gas shocks. The KYB shocks applicable for the Super Stocks are 24.5'' extended length vs. 22.6'' on the factory replacements (so it would have to be a 2'' extension). Decisions, decisions.... any input is appreciated.

Depending on which SS springs do you select you may or may not need the 2" extended length. Are you using the air shocks to just adjust the ride height? Springs will do that.

I used 3800lb. super-stock springs with air-shocks on my old 67 wagon. I ran separate air-lines, ran low pressures, and could adjust the suspension a bit. It worked GREAT, and it didn't even have a snubber.

Yes, there are 2" rear shock extensions. They sort of look like 4" long metal plates with two 1-1/2" diameter holes in them. You use two plates/shock & they "sandwich" the shock bushings. I have an extra set if you want to pm me.

IF you stay with the air shocks, definitely split the lines left/right into two separate lines like mmissile is saying to keep you from leaning too far in the corners. If the lines are connected (like they come with the air shocks), when you corner, once rear shock being compressed will pump up the other shock making you lean even further.

Lastly... your car will sit A LOT higher with super stock springs, so you may not need the air shocks. I ended up putting lowering blocks on mine since my rear bumper was belt high after I put on super stock springs (no air shocks). You can always use longer rear spring hangers too if you really need a mile-high rear end.

Keep in mind the old rule of thumb... if the front or rear of the car goes up or down 2" you need an alignment. Air shocks "should" be used to level the load, not raise & lower the rear end at will. I know, I know... I've done that myself back in the 80's, but you're not "supposed to".

I used 3800lb. super-stock springs with air-shocks on my old 67 wagon. I ran separate air-lines, ran low pressures, and could adjust the suspension a bit. It worked GREAT, and it didn't even have a snubber.

mmissile,
I will also be using the 3800lb SS springs. Were you still able to use factory replacement air shocks? or did you have to get creative to slap something else in your car?

Depending on which SS springs do you select you may or may not need the 2" extended length. Are you using the air shocks to just adjust the ride height? Springs will do that.

66satellite47,
I'm sure the springs alone will get me close to where I want to be. I just would like the option of tossing in a lil more air when there's few more people in the car with me.

66satellite47,
I'm sure the springs alone will get me close to where I want to be. I just would like the option of tossing in a lil more air when there's few more people in the car with me.
Thought I'd add a picture of shock extensions. I mounted mine on the top of shock. Most people mount them on bottom. I don't like the way they look, UGLY IMO. I'd dog ear the upper corners. Used air shocks because I was running L60 15's and needed to raise rear an inch or so.
shock.jpg

mmissile,
I will also be using the 3800lb SS springs. Were you still able to use factory replacement air shocks? or did you have to get creative to slap something else in your car?

Basic, off-the-shelf stuff[Gabriel]. They seemed longer than stock shocks.
2lo0u14.jpg

Basic, off-the-shelf stuff[Gabriel]. They seemed longer than stock shocks.
2lo0u14.jpg
Love it's stance! The way I understand it, the front SS spring hanger brackets have a upper and lower bolt hole for 2 different rear end heights? If so, id guess yours is in the top bolt hole for the lower rear height?

Actually...they were in the bottom hole.

Mopar has a drag shock that's, I believe is 2 inches longer than stock P4529514 if you want a longer shock. $40 each on Mancini's website now.

I need measurements to make my own shock extensions (was going to ask PurpleBeeper but he has a full inbox). I need some exact measurements for the holes and such. Anyone else have some available to look at? The only source I found that still sells 'em won't ship to Mexico, so going to fabricate some. Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back