• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 coronet trunk floor

mopower_333

Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
i'm wanting to replace the trunk floor in my 66 coronet with some flat sheet metal to get ride of where the spare tire goes. Does anyone have any pictures or advice on how to go about this? thanks

Here is my advice..if you have never done this before... get someone that has some experience and get them to help you. Best to remove the gas tank...you will need a wire feed welder also.

Been there, done that. Had to replace the entire trunk floor in the Daytona....was not a fun job

Here is my advice..if you have never done this before... get someone that has some experience and get them to help you. Best to remove the gas tank...you will need a wire feed welder also.

Been there, done that. Had to replace the entire trunk floor in the Daytona....was not a fun job

gas tank is already out and i have a lincoln welder. If i take my time, i'm sure i can get it done, i'm just looking for some tips

i'm wanting to replace the trunk floor in my 66 coronet with some flat sheet metal to get ride of where the spare tire goes. Does anyone have any pictures or advice on how to go about this? thanks

Why do you want to do away with the spare well? Rusty?

Just my personal opinion (and you know what they say about opinions).....any time I see a repair on a car that was done with plain sheet metal and not factory stuff (with ribs etc) I tend to question the quality of all the other work that has been done on the car. I see pics of people repairing their floors with plain sheet, and for me it's just a red flag. Sort of "gee, if they couldn't or WOULDN'T take the time to do THIS right, what else has been "fixed" like this"

So unless you're planning on doing something with that new floor (fuel cell, etc) then you might consider how others may look upon that flat steel. If it were me, I'd find a trunk floor for a 68-70 B body and section in/out a piece to use. At least it will look more correct.

Why do you want to do away with the spare well? Rusty?

yes, it's rusty. I also want to put a 20 gallon fuel cell in the trunk and the spare gets in the way, so i'd rather just replace it. The rest of the trunk is nice, so i don't want to sheet metal the whole trunk...seems like a waste of good metal.

Just my personal opinion (and you know what they say about opinions).....any time I see a repair on a car that was done with plain sheet metal and not factory stuff (with ribs etc) I tend to question the quality of all the other work that has been done on the car. I see pics of people repairing their floors with plain sheet, and for me it's just a red flag. Sort of "gee, if they couldn't or WOULDN'T take the time to do THIS right, what else has been "fixed" like this"

So unless you're planning on doing something with that new floor (fuel cell, etc) then you might consider how others may look upon that flat steel. If it were me, I'd find a trunk floor for a 68-70 B body and section in/out a piece to use. At least it will look more correct.

i agree 100%. I'm going to get some ribs rolled into it to jazz it up and kind of get a factory look. Plain sheet metal isn't very nice to look at and i want it to serve a purpose while looking good

i sank the fuel cell into the floor of my 66, still gave me a lot more room for moving the springs in and i can still fit duals through the space where the tank was. for the front and back i welded in sheet metal angles to attatch the filler at the back and the box for the fuel cell in the front.i cut the trunk out on top of the inside of the frame rail so i would have a nice lip to attach the side fillers,i had a 2 inch lip on these that i cut so i could bend the sheetmetal to match the trunk contour. after that i just dropped in a box that i made and trimed it to match the floor. was a bit of work but its very solid.

new folder 002.jpg

new folder 003.jpg

new folder 005.jpg

that looks really cool. seeing this i might not buy a new factory style tank and go with a cell. thanks for sharing. but its really hard to cut an original cherry trunk pan. i,m still on the fence on this one.

i hear you on that one dd,my choices would have been a lot harder if it wasn't for the rust in the wheel well

Auto Transport Service
Back