• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Coronet - Trunk Lid Trim Work

JonR

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
The upper horizontal trim piece on the back of my trunk lid has a few dings from people not being careful backing up I presume. How do I remove and successfully re-install this trim bar so I can fix the dings? From inside the trunk it appears that the trim bar is held on with whitish plastic clips of some kind. This is the horizontal bar at the top edge of the trunk lid that you would grab to flip the trunk closed. Thanks.

Jon

Those clips will just "pop" out when you pry that off. There should be two bolt clips on the sides. Once you take off you will need to purchase replacement clips on eBay or RT Specialties. Below is a 66 that a friend took that piece off.
1663449931637.jpeg

I wouldn't use that as a trunk closing handle.

Those were repro'd a few years ago in solid aluminum.

Kinda pricey IIRC, but they do get beat up.

I swear I've taken them off without breaking the clips, but I sure don't remember the procedure.

I made a replacement for mine from a 66 Charger top of fender trim.

I didn't have to buy and clips to put it on.

I do remember reaching up through the big, rectangular holes to get at them.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the replies! My horizontal trim pieces are in really good shape. The bottom one is fine - no dings. The upper one has 3 dings that I know I could work out if I could get it off and on successfully.

Right, I don't use this trim piece to close the trunk. I just used that as an example to make it clear which strip I was talking about. I'll see if I can get some replacement clips before attempting the job. How do the clips attach to the back side of the trim bar?

Auto Transport Service
Back