• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 factory dual exhaust info.

YY1

Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
While I was dropping my gas tank, I also pulled the rusty exhaust off.

I noticed the hanger pads in front of the axle were mounted different.

The pass side was welded, and the driver side was bolted.

They looked like the same part, but the driver side had two extra holes.

Would a 383-4 car have had standard duals? Optional?

Would the mounts have been attaced differently from the factory?

Both sides had "speed nut" clips in square holes in the frame for the hangers right in front of the turn downs.

Thanks.

383 4 would have duals. The bolt in hanger is on the drivers side, welded is on the pass side. The welded side is welded in because every car used this hanger as the single exhaust ran on the pass side, the bolt on side is only added to dual exhaust cars. You car is correct.

383 4 would have duals. The bolt in hanger is on the drivers side, welded is on the pass side. The welded side is welded in because every car used this hanger as the single exhaust ran on the pass side, the bolt on side is only added to dual exhaust cars. You car is correct.

That is correct.

I suspected as much after seeing some repro mounts. It also looks like even the reinforced rubber hangers were original.

Thanks for confirming.

I really wish this car was in about 15% better shape and running.

If it was, I'd be in the survivors tent instead of trying to decide between a driver build and a full resto.

Auto Transport Service
Back