• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 grill surround mounting

YY1

Local time
1:20 PM
Reaction score
My 66 grill suround seems to be mounted to the fenders with thin strips of sheet metal that are riveted to both the fender and the surround, then bent into place.

Am I crazy?

How do you deal with that?

I have already broken/twisted all but one.

It seems like they might flap in the breeze if not secured to the fenders at the top.

It also looks like the surround is wedged between this strip and the fender.

How convoluted!?

Pic's Maybe???

First where in FL are ya? Second a few pics will help if you have some available....:icon_question:

OK, here's a couple of pics.

The first one shows the two strips. They were bent around at 90* into the headlight area, then another 90* to the surround in front of the signal housing.

The second shows the back of the surround, with two small holes where the rivets pulled through.

I suppose what looks exactly like the rivets that pulled out could be small screws with no heads that are only accessable by removing the front splash shield from inside the fender, and then using one long *** 1/4 drive extension. That sure would be a pain. I think it would double the time to remove the grille or replase a signal housing.

DSCN6140.jpg

DSCN6141.jpg

OK...

That looks to me to be someting added on that is not typical to the 66's. I checked mine and I do not have the tabs you showed in the pics that you have. I haven't a clue as to what they are for nor do I have any reference in my FSM. Sorry but I can't help you out with this. Maybe someone else here knows...Good Luck....

Auto Transport Service
Back