• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Hemi 727 Torque Converter

JohnnyPopper82

Local time
3:10 PM
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1966 426 Hemi Charger with original block, but was missing the tranny. Previous owner gave me a supposedly 727 hemi torque converter with the car. Since then I’ve picked up an original 1966 hemi 727 tranny that still had torque converter installed with flex plate.

Wondering if there are any identifiers I can look for to prove that the original converter I got with the car was an actual hemi or not.

The picture I attached is of the torque converter that came out of the 66 hemi 727 tranny that was not with the car.

Thanks in advance for the help.

C9A5F77C-C778-442E-A323-7397666EC1FA.jpeg

A picture of space between starter ring gear would help. From top of teeth to convertor body is an 1" or so. If convertor body is out to edge 1/4" to base of teeth it's an 11" convertor.

The '66 High Stall Street Hemi torque converter is a one-year-only piece. In 1967, the input shaft diameter and spline count changed. There is much better selection of later converters. The early shafts can be changed out, along with oil pump and front drum for later stuff. '71 and up is best, with wider drum bushing.

I have a custom 11" hemi converter in my charger from Pat Blais he had a shop he worked with that would cut them apart and rebuild to make them for 383s or 440s. I'm very happy with it.

I recently acquired a 1966 426 Hemi Charger with original block, but was missing the tranny. Previous owner gave me a supposedly 727 hemi torque converter with the car. Since then I’ve picked up an original 1966 hemi 727 tranny that still had torque converter installed with flex plate.

Wondering if there are any identifiers I can look for to prove that the original converter I got with the car was an actual hemi or not.

The picture I attached is of the torque converter that came out of the 66 hemi 727 tranny that was not with the car.

Thanks in advance for the help.

View attachment 1451013
Where did you find your hemi 727? I'm going to be in the market for one here soon.

A picture of space between starter ring gear would help. From top of teeth to convertor body is an 1" or so. If convertor body is out to edge 1/4" to base of teeth it's an 11" convertor.
I can get more pics. About 1” sounds right though. Thanks

The '66 High Stall Street Hemi torque converter is a one-year-only piece. In 1967, the input shaft diameter and spline count changed. There is much better selection of later converters. The early shafts can be changed out, along with oil pump and front drum for later stuff. '71 and up is best, with wider drum bushing.
Thanks

Where did you find your hemi 727? I'm going to be in the market for one here soon.
A guy who knew a guy type deal. Came out of TN. Only one he had. I plan to hit the guy up that I got the charger from. I think he may have more.

Auto Transport Service
Back