• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Hemi Coronet clone project anyone?

Unfortunately by the time you buy it ans all of the Hemi stuff, do the body work, paint, interior work, suspension, brakes, etc. you could buy a REAL done Hemi car

Unfortunately by the time you buy it ans all of the Hemi stuff, do the body work, paint, interior work, suspension, brakes, etc. you could buy a REAL done Hemi car

Maybe, but you would be able to actually drive and enjoy a clone car, where as if you had a real one, it would end up in your garage or on a trailer only seeing the light of day when it goes to a few shows a year. With a clone car, you're also not held to the same level of correctness as you would be with a real car, so the costs could be kept in check a little easier to.

Richard

Perfect candidate for a warmed over, inexpensive 360 and a low gear 904.
A pair of 9" slicks on some $5 7" steel wheels in the trunk and you have fun driver, and drive to the track street bracket car. No need to get 'spendy'.:)

Perfect candidate for a warmed over, inexpensive 360 and a low gear 904.
A pair of 9" slicks on some $5 7" steel wheels in the trunk and you have fun driver, and drive to the track street bracket car. No need to get 'spendy'.:)

That would be fun, but I have to tell you that there is NOTHING like having a Hemi sitting in the engine compartment just waiting for your right foot to bring it to life.............:grin: Been there, done that! :grin:

Richard

That would be fun, but I have to tell you that there is NOTHING like having a Hemi sitting in the engine compartment just waiting for your right foot to bring it to life.............:grin: Been there, done that! :grin:

Richard

I'd rather keep the hood shut, still have a fast, fun ride and leave LOTS of Benjamin's in my wallet. :grin:

I'd rather keep the hood shut, still have a fast, fun ride and leave LOTS of Benjamin's in my wallet. :grin:

You have to admit though, you only live once and you can't take any of your Benjamin's with you! :grin:

Richard

1966HemiCoronet1.gif

1966HemiCoronet3.gif

Last edited:
This one is done and has been for sale for at least a year.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/30324.html

Unless you got the subject car in this thread for FREE you could not begin to build it to match the one in the link. Even then I think you would have more in it due to the body condition. Not to mention the time (at least a year) to build it.

I totally agree with you that it would not be a cheap build, but it could be done for less than the car in your link, (which I've also seen on-line before) IF you were someone who already has a rebuildable Hemi engine and a transmission, (I own both) along with the skills to do most of the work themselfs. I will also stick to my thoughts that if you want to build a clone car, or maybe just a Hemi powered post car, you would not be held to the same high standards of "factory correctness" that you would be when you're restoring a real Hemi car like the BEAUTIFUL car you restored. I think that you know as well, or better, than anybody on this web site, about what it takes to restore a real Hemi car and I would not want to put in that kind of effort and CASH that you did on your car. as you would lose your azz if you did that on a clone, or similar build on a project like this one.

As far as the body on the car in the ebay add goes, I've seen folks start with a LOT less than this car has to offer, and once again, you would HAVE to be able to do most of the bodywork yourself and frankly, I think that most of the folks who would want to build this type of a car would want to build it themselves don't you think?

Richard

Yeah there a lot of ways to look at it, and everyone has a different idea of how they would do things.

My response to the original post was based on someone buying the car you linked. I just don't think it is all that good a deal due to the rust and body work needed. I was just making a statement of how deep someone would be in that car if you wanted to make a Hemi clone and have to buy all of the stuff necessary.

In your case having a Hemi and other things necessary of course you could do it cheaper, but if you bought that car and had to buy all of the other stuff you would be FAR better off buying the done clone that I linked.

and miss out on all of the fun of finding parts for a 40 plus year old car that they don't make all that many reproduction parts for? Damn, I think your right! :grin:

Richard

You have to admit though, you only live once and you can't take any of your Benjamin's with you! :grin:

Richard

True, but I don't pray before the alter of the Hemi. This Hemi obsession has gone beyond silly and beyond the Mopar hobbyist. Thanks in part the January auctions a mere 5 years ago with high flying ego bidders with coin (real or not). Other such groups of buyers/sellers/collectors/ and a nostalgic ad campaign by then DCX.
Arguments over clones, 'rebodying', 1 of this 5 of that.... If I hear one more I'm going to puke.

Talk to anyone who turned wrench's on street Hemi's at dealers back in the day (like my brother) when they were daily drivers. Most will tell you they couldn't stand them.

To each his own. If the ultimate thrill is Hemi, go for it. For me I get more jolly's seeing a guy squeeze 13.40's out of a 3700 pound U/SA 273 2 BBL. Belvedere wagon. No, I am not 'normal'.:grin:

Last edited:
Hey Banker, Spend the coin and build yourself a Big inch Indy Hemi. Build it the way you want it. Enjoy it.

Let me tell you guys as an owner of 3 Hemi cars in my life time. Starting with a 1970 Charger RT 426 Se to the current 67 Coronet Clone thaat I am building. This engine is an experience that all Mopar people should drive at least once in there lives. Do not get me wrong all Mopars are great. But driving a Hemi creates such a feeling when you get to higher speeds is like nothing else. These engines have yet to be beat, shear power and a riveting feeling under hi speed esceleration can not be matched by any other engine. In my times with Mopar since I was sixteen I can only remember one other motor that came close. This is a stroked Mopar 400 with 440 cank and big breather heads. It makes 451 Cubes and could very well be the top contender agist the old stock Buick GS 455 as a drag motor. Remember Hemi's are not your ideal drag motor. THey where designed for hi speed and Endurance racing. Nascar and others.

Auto Transport Service
Back