• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 nightmare/moparmare

pjrenu

Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
I bought this 66 Satellite 2 door hard top a month or so ago. It called to me from the back of a parking lot. I had had one almost 38 years ago to the date when I totaled it. I had been looking for a 57 Ford wagon as I had a plan on how i would build it and what the finish product would be.
I had a line on one and just as i was getting ready to buy it the fellow that owned it sold it to his neighbor claiming he had forgotten that years ago he had promised it to him.
So when I got this Satellite I thought cool it has great lines really dependable running gear and except for damage on the left front fender bumper and grill it could be a great car again.
I purchased a parts car took everything I needed from it even took the time to remove the core support. I just got done with the replacing of the core support and what I figured out is this car must have been assembled the day everyone showed up with out there tape measures and alignment jigs. Where do you start to get a reading for squareness, level and alighnment of parts. Nothing corresponded between parts from one car to the other. I replaced the left 3/4 of the core support leaving the upper support that connects the inner fender aprons. The reason for replacing is I didnt want a mangled or hammered piece of core support . I have replaced them on other makes and not had near the difficulty of getting good measurements. Any braket or tab that i used for a measurement didnt correspond left to right. I now know why they use such large washers for the bolts. But to get serious is this common or just this car. Any advice or suggestions would help.

Well, here you go.

1966-70 B BODY FRAME DIMENSIONS.jpg

1966-70 B BODY FRAME DIMENSIONS.jpg

Thanks 696pack . This will at least allow me to be sure if the car is tweaked or just the area of the core support.

696pack great specs i needed them too for a 67 coronet, probably the day that 66 was built they ran out of black label or detroit gold

Note that the diagram is labeled 1970-66. It is the same unibody.

Actually they were built on a jig so they all should have been pretty close to the same.

What most people seem to forget is that after 40 years shaking down the road 100s of thosands of miles, weakening from rust, and collisions, these old cars have tweeked, twisted, and have been bashed out of spec.

Auto Transport Service
Back