• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Satellite & 67 GTX Grill

Dash Riprock

Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
So I intend to black out a 66 Satellite grill to closely resemble a 67 GTX grill. I want to install the red, white and blue emblem for the GTX on the 66 grill. Question: Are the center bars on each grill the same height? I can drill the mounting holes in the 66 grill. Anyone?? Thanks.

It’s different shape and height, you will have to make it work. The 67 GTX grill is not blacked out, it is dark textured argent.

Just my opinion, but I think it's something that I wouldn't want to do to a good 66 grill. Buy a junk one to experiment with.

Just my opinion, but I think it's something that I wouldn't want to do to a good 66 grill. Buy a junk one to experiment with.
It just won’t look correct at all with the single large headlight and park lamps in grille. Won’t fool anybody into thinking it’s a 67 GTX.

Don’t think there is much there on the stamped 66 grill to drill to mount the 67 GTX grill emblem to. You might be able to clamp it on with some jerry-rigging. Not going to look like a 67 grill though.

66 is one a just a few years that didn't get red/white/blue badging.

Just did my 66 grill,I used peel coat paint by
Rust- Oleum,color Matter Black.
Used Colored high adhesive tape in red,white ,& blue,this way all can be removed if I change my mind.
Left center between parking lights unpainted so it looks similar to 67 grill.
Placed tape on this part of grill to memic colors on 67
Grill.

I painted mine black. Not to fool anyone into thinking it's a GTX, just because I felt the 66 front end was too bland with the Citron Gold paint, and also there is an Australian Holden that has a very similar front end and I didn't want my car to look like that.
I sprayed mine Satin Black with a single stage epoxy and it's held up very well.
20210717_173025.jpg
017.jpg
Holden-HR-white-26.jpg

Thanks for posting. Holden looks good!

Try leaving the dished area around the lights in silver and it might work better. Just paint the horizontal bars.

All great info guys. Many thanks. I agree totally with 66 Sat. Not trying to clone a 67 GTX, but prefer the blacked out look. Yours is exactly what I'm looking for. I think the red, white and blue 67 badge would set everything off. I ordered one yesterday and will make an attempt. It will be a custom fit for sure. I'll let you know if I can make it work.

Update: Got the new 67 emblem from Year One and no way to make it work. There is a peak in the 66 grill where it's obvious the GTX grill is flat. It was a valiant effort...but more trouble than it's worth. Sent the emblem back. Gonna follow 66 Sat's roadmap with a little less black around the headlights per R413's suggestion. Thanks all!

Auto Transport Service
Back