• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Satellite/Belvedere Trunk Panel Color

66 Sat

Local time
7:26 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if there was any standard color for a 66 Satellite/Belvedere Trunk Panel? I see some (usually original hemi cars) with red as the outline but also see some unpainted, just polished. I've also attached a photo of one picked out in black but on the opposite lines to where they are "normally" painted (it's
20180915_141756.jpg
being sold as an original hemi). Mine is black and peeling (not a hemi car), but it looks like red under the black.
Anyway, I'm either going to re-paint it black or might go with red, if that's not exclusive to the hemi cars.
130266_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
14332748-1966-plymouth-satellite-srcset-xl.jpg
10425058-1966-plymouth-satellite-thumb.jpg

I have a Hemi Satellite & used a wider type red
pinstripe tape.
It turned out great,also seen some without any
red strip,I like the stripes.

Clean Satellite 3.jpg
Mine is red and a NOS one I bought from my local Dodge dealer in 1978 for my Satellite is red. Saw a wrecked Satellite in the 80's black, painted same places as red ones looked factory but who knows. The orange car design is owner preference .MO.

Last edited:
Mine was red at one point. What's left is sort of a pinkish/purple now.

20161024_174129.jpg

Mine had from the factory red stripe. I used a red tinting color from duplicolor, the same as for tinting rear lamps. A paint shop can use clear coat with some drops red color. The chrome shines thru the red color. I'm the second owner, and the car was never repainted, so im sure it is original. Production year is 65.

I thought Sattys were red and Belvys plain
That's what I originally thought, but have seen such a wide variety on Google images and cars that are for sale I really have no idea. Then I thought maybe the hemi cars had red to match the red arrowhead 426 badge on the hood. Mine has a 318 hood emblem in black and I thought the trunk panel might have been painted black to match. I think I'll try red to add a bit of color. Thanks for everyone's input!

dont use lining tape, there are no sharp edges. They had a distance in the masking tape, so the color is faded out. The reason is, when you wipe your car, a sharp edge will ripped of from the towel or sponge!
20181206_222641.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back