• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Satellite steering column finish

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
My 66 column appears to be gloss lacquer (unpolished) and appears to always have been. No sign of a suede finish at all from top to bottom. My 67 GTX was suede finish. We’re the 66s gloss on the column? Could this be an assembly plant thing?

I'm not sure, but I have a EE1 blue 66 Satellite and the never touched column is body color. Hope this helps.

Mine is gloss black - matches the interior.

Thanks - sounds like gloss is correct.

1966 is full gloss.
1967 is suede.

it is not a plant thing.

They are Never body color, they are interior color. Sometimes both color codes are the same. But you use the paint code for the interior.

Take paint code Q dark red metallic. You can have both the interior and the car be painted Q. Or you can have a Q interior with a white car, so then the column is never white like the body color.

Same here ,,,, Gloss metallic red , not as glossy as the car is mind you.
But definitely not suede like later models.
Dash frame is a flattened red, not suede either but more like a base coat with no clear top coat , same finish on the interior A pillar mldgs

I even asked the previous owner and he said they put it back they way they took it apart in the late 90s

I anticipate it’s just gloss lacquer - but unpolished. Lacquer sort of dulls out slightly as the solvents evaporate out. It takes polishing to bring out the full gloss shine - which was unnecessary for these purposes.

thanks everyone.

Mine is the same as the painted door color
jj8Nz9NH_BW23lIn6f8sLUAu2hkSs1tOlVDOctJNJjZ06bkOLN0MtesUYsF1fV33mks21tU=w1176-h882-no?authuser=0.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back