• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Satellite wheel size

Sadie_the_66

Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
I have a 66 satellite with the stock 14x7 inch wheels and some blown and dry rotted tires. I'm about to pull the trigger on some wheels, (18x10 275/35r18 in the rear) and I want to make sure I will be able to fit them. It doesn't have any kind of tub and it has the stock spring location, but I am putting air shocks on with the wheels. I'm thinking it is short enough where it won't be much of an issue in the wheel well with the air shocks raising the car. Backspacing on the rears is 4 1/8 btw. It isn't exactly my first choice of wheel and tire size, but it was at a reasonable price and it is a nice style of wheel. I just want to make sure I don't buy the wheels and have them not fit. Thank you for your input.

10” wheels won’t fit on that car u nless you raise it 12” in the air.

And the stock wheels are not 14x7.

There are many threads, if you use the Search function, about wheel backspacing & tire sizes on these early B's. I, personally, cannot imagine those "fitting" whatsoever on a '66 with stock wheel wells. Others may have better news for you.

Please don't put 18" wheels on that beaut. 15's are almost too much. Mine are 255's on 15 x8 rims.
20220703_194637.jpg

Last edited:
Think 5.5 x 14. You could start a thread 17" or 18" wheels on a 66 Satellite or Belvedere?I can see 17", modern wheels classic car, your car though. Back spacing 4.5" minimum 4.75 better. I had L60 x 15" with 4" BS with air shocks they rubbed on corners. They were a pain to put on or remove, carried a small bottle jack. Had to put bottle jack on spring to jack down rear to remove tire.
1983.jpg

14" X 5" on most. 14" X 5 1\2" on wagons and Hemi cars. '66 and '67 B-bodies had some of the tightest rear wheel wells. I had 15" X 8" wheels on the back of my 1967 R/T with 255 R 70 X 15's, but it was tight.

Last edited:
I have 15"x 8" with 245/60 and 4 1/2" backspace.
I wouldn't go any larger

I have a 66 satellite with the stock 14x7 inch wheels and some blown and dry rotted tires. I'm about to pull the trigger on some wheels, (18x10 275/35r18 in the rear) and I want to make sure I will be able to fit them. It doesn't have any kind of tub and it has the stock spring location, but I am putting air shocks on with the wheels. I'm thinking it is short enough where it won't be much of an issue in the wheel well with the air shocks raising the car. Backspacing on the rears is 4 1/8 btw. It isn't exactly my first choice of wheel and tire size, but it was at a reasonable price and it is a nice style of wheel. I just want to make sure I don't buy the wheels and have them not fit. Thank you for your input.
You need to check the distance from the axle flange to the leaf springs. Also the axle flange to the wheel well lip. Thats a wide rim to be stuffing under that car. Besides that try changing that tire on the side of the road. the 66/67 wheel wells make it so you have to jack it way up to clear the wheel well damn near like fender skirts. Just my opinion take it or leave it. But if you take it.. That will be 2cents I accept pay pal.

A stock suspension 66 or 67 will fit an 18x10 wheel, if you torch most of the fender out of the way...

In other words.... there is no way in heck those 18x10s will fit.

Unless you mini tub it, move the springs under the frame rails, and narrow the rear end. Think $5000 worth of work to fit inexpensive wheels.

Forget 10", you won't have to worry if they fit you'll never get them on! My L60 15 7" were a pain as I posted. 8" with 4.75 is max. MO.

Last edited:
Those 18x10s have less backspace than the 14x7s you have on there now. So, imagine the wheel/tire you have now, MOVED THREE AND A HALF INCHES TOWARD THE FENDER.

Think that'll work?

Don67satelite, what size tires do you have on the front?

Sorry, i will do that next time, and thanks for the size, when i installed a front sway bar my tires rub and i need to go to something smaller.

Im looking at going to 215 70 15 on the front? any thoughts?

Looking at your post #18 and #19. Do you want to go shorter or narrower, or both? What do you have now that rubs? (Give tire size, wheel size, and backspace, ALL have an effect.)
I have had 235/75x15s on the front of my 62.... but the previous owner relieved a bunch of metal off the front valance for clearance, and they rub pretty good at full lock on the header tube in the wheelwell. 215/70x15s would be a better choice, but I wanted the extra height for the dragstrip.

Auto Transport Service
Back