• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 uspension question.

66plymouth

Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, any suggestions on a way to raise the ride height about 2" on the rear of my 66 satellite, with out using air shocks? I thought a bought extending the shackles and front hangers, But heard that makes the rear end unstable. And could a guy use a pan hard bar with leaf springs to help stabilize the rear end or will they work against each other? This is not a drag car just a street pounder, but don't want it to look cheese.

Thanks, 66Plymouth

I raised my 66 2 inches by having the factory springs re-arched and adding one leaf. The car drives very nice out of the highway and hooks up good to.

Attachments

• 1966 spring lift.jpg
    1966 spring lift.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
It cost $175 to have the springs done.

Attachments

• 1966 lift3.jpg
    1966 lift3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 196
That's a great stance.

I've always thought somewhere beween the rim and the letters on the tire-right at the bottom of the rear wheel opening looked the best on 66/67s.

Gives you enough room to turn the front wheels or run 15s in the front.

as a shackle user....i am here to tell you that shackles DO NOT make the rear end unstable. got mine on ebay for 39.00 and had them in, in 30 minutes! all it took was a 10 inch long 2x4 and a small 1 ton hydraulic jack.BADDA-BING...instant height for a small price and it looks great and sits how i want it to !

Summit sells Pro Comp add a leaf kits that look like the way to go to get about 2" lift on most Bs. They are only about $35 and would be easy to install. That's probably the best cheap way to go if you don't want to buy new springs.

Thanks guys I like the idea of re arching and adding a leaf, but thought for some reason that it would lower the rear end. Ga66mopar that's exactly the look i'm going for. And i'll check summit for the ad a leaf.

Thanks, 66plymouth

Nice looking RR-

I had no problems with the shackles on my 70 Bee, and I did quite a bit of "drifting", and steering the rear end with the throttle, before that term was used to describe it.

Nice looking RR-

I had no problems with the shackles on my 70 Bee, and I did quite a bit of "drifting", and steering the rear end with the throttle, before that term was used to describe it.

thanx YY1...i take alot of crap for having those shackles on my car, but i cant stand air shocks, and i wanted the entire car to sit about 4 inches higher than it did when i bought it. re-arching the leaf springs was not in the budget at the time, so shackles were the answer.

....so i cranked up the torsion bars about 3 inches in the front and the shackles got me about 4 inches in the back. believe it or not it rides surprisingly smooth, and actually dont handle all that badly for a b-body MOPAR. of course i dont hammer on it...but i do like going thru the turns on the back country roads i have around here !

You could run 3800 lb SS springs but they will make your car sit higher on one side for years to come. However they will raise your car up in the back like 3 inches. If you go raising up the back of your car it will affect the pinion angle, so you might feel a vibration. My car had a bad vibration from 3" lowering blocks which were installed after the pinion angle had been set and welded correctly for my car with the SS springs. The lowering blocks were to bring the car down to a normal ride height with the SS springs, but I had to pull them out. Later I will have the springs dearched and the pinion angle adjusted and rewelded.

Auto Transport Service
Back