• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 3 speed to 4 speed swap?

67 B-body

Local time
7:21 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1967 Satellite 318la with a column shift 3 speed tranny. Can anyone give me a heads-up on items needed to go to a 4 speed? Obviously a little work to tranny tunnel to except the floor shifter, but what about big things like bellhousing change,drive shaft, clutch linkage, pressure plate and disk assy. etc. etc.?

Thanks,:yes:
Jim

I can't help you with your problem, but I am trying to convert a 66 Belvedere II 6 cylinder from an automatic to 3 speed column shift, so I would be interested in your parts. I am assuming 67 would transfer to 66.
Good luck on your conversion.

Bob

drive shaft, clutch pedal assembly. z bar assembly, fly wheel, clutch disc kit. engine might not be honed out for the pilot shaft bushing however ive heard that there is a bearing you can get that seats in the flywheel instead of in the crank unfortunately i dont have info on that though. you will also need to remove your kickdown linkage from your carb since it wont be used. i recall seeing hydraulic conversion kits which may be an option as well

drive shaft, clutch pedal assembly. z bar assembly, fly wheel, clutch disc kit. engine might not be honed out for the pilot shaft bushing however ive heard that there is a bearing you can get that seats in the flywheel instead of in the crank unfortunately i dont have info on that though. you will also need to remove your kickdown linkage from your carb since it wont be used. i recall seeing hydraulic conversion kits which may be an option as well

I might not have been clear,, I currently have a 3 speed "manual" transmision "on the tree". Or maybe I need everything you stated because the current equipment is somehow different? I kind of thought it might be as simple as bolting the new tranny to the current bellhousing "assuming it has the correct double bolt pattern 3 / 4 speed", and changing out the pilot bearing, throwout bearing "maybee", pressure plate, disk, and shifter linkage / shifter. I dont know about the fork arm and rod length between the two setups either...

Thanks,
Jim:blush:

I can't help you with your problem, but I am trying to convert a 66 Belvedere II 6 cylinder from an automatic to 3 speed column shift, so I would be interested in your parts. I am assuming 67 would transfer to 66.
Good luck on your conversion.

Bob

I think I'm going to hang on to the stock parts as this car is close to 100% original as it gets... It even has the dealer installed A/C when purchased new. I am the second true owner. I just wish it were already a big block 4 speed!
The car has the original paint "soon to be re-painted" rot free body! I have all the original paperwork when bought new as well... I just want to have a little fun with it for now, so the little 318 and three on the tree have to get placed in storage for a little while.
If I hear of any good deals on components I'll let ya know.:yes:

Jim

transmission,shifter,shifter levers,steering column.I did this swap a few years back very easy.The bellhousing,z bar,clutch fork,clutch,transmission crossmember,and drive shaft are all the same.

transmission,shifter,shifter levers,steering column.I did this swap a few years back very easy.The bellhousing,z bar,clutch fork,clutch,transmission crossmember,and drive shaft are all the same.

There we go... That's just what I wanted to hear!!
Thank you for the time and inspiration to change it out!
I'm getting ready to build another 67 440 to set down in it. I plan on assembling the engine over this next winter and transplanting it sometime late spring. Then I'll have to get the correct bellhousing and clutch assy to match up to the BRB block. Regarding driveline items, I think that would cover the LA to BRB swap shouldnt it "assuming I have a 4 speed crank"?:)

Thanks,
Jim

I don't think the bolt pattern for the trans to bellhousing is the same on a 3 and a 4 speed.

well if hes going from a small block 3 spd to big block 4 spd he'll need a different bell regardless

well if hes going from a small block 3 spd to big block 4 spd he'll need a different bell regardless

Well, the B-RB engine will come at a later time. I hoped to find my LA bellhousing to be one of the "duel" bolt pattern that excepts both 3 and 4 speed manual transmisions. I have read about this type of duel application bellhousing begining around 67 "makes sence since it was the first year for LA318". If I find that my current bellhousing does not except the four speed tranny, then I will just collect the needed components for the big block and wait till then to install any four speed option.
It's realy no big deal,,, I just thought about throwing the 4 gear in now and play a little before the life breaths from the 440.
I built a 440 for my 69 Road Runner and had a blast with the beast!! Them Goodyear Eagle ST's "eventually refered to as Slippery Turds" didn't stand a chance!!! LOL...
Ohhh, those were the days!!!!!
:black_eye:

Auto Transport Service
Back