• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 440 HP AIR CLEANER BASE

dmoore

Mopar to the end
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the air cleaner base diameter on a 67 440 hp AFB?

For the carb air horn or the outside dimension?

Can someone tell me the air cleaner base diameter on a 67 440 hp AFB?
It should be 4,1/4 inches, same as the 383`s. I don’t know if there ever were more than two sizes for the 4 barrel Carters. AVS and Thermoquads were were about 5 inches.

If not running an original AFB you can substitute a 68/69 unsilenced air cleaner base (5") to fit an AVS, Edelbrock or Holley and it makes it a stock/snorkel-appearing air cleaner but it's low restriction and unsilenced.

Reason I asked is a friend of mine has an original "real" survivor 67 GTX console 4-speed with original AFB installed. The carb has recently been rebuilt but is lacking in performance. I suggested installing one of those new Edelbrock 650 AVS2. I had done that exact same change on my 64 426 and was VERY happy. I'm guessing his original air cleaner base will still fit the AVS2 carb air horn. Thanks for the replies!

Reason I asked is a friend of mine has an original "real" survivor 67 GTX console 4-speed with original AFB installed. The carb has recently been rebuilt but is lacking in performance. I suggested installing one of those new Edelbrock 650 AVS2. I had done that exact same change on my 64 426 and was VERY happy. I'm guessing his original air cleaner base will still fit the AVS2 carb air horn. Thanks for the replies!
No. His original AFB is 41/4 inch , you will need the 5 inch base. His original carb is a 750. All he should need to do is get it set up properly. My humble opinion. If the price was wright, I sure would take the AFB.

What does "performance" mean to you? Power?

The non Califorina 67 440 AFB, 4326s and 4327s, are very good carbs. They are 1-11/16" throttle bores and would be considered 750-ish cfm. Hard to imaging a 650 AVS would perform better.

If you insist on replacing the original carb, the only carb I'd consider as the next step up from factory would be the 800 cfm AVS.

The 4326/4327 carbs should fetch pretty good money.

I am running a 750 cfm Edelbrock now on my stock 440 in my '67 R/T. It seems to run a lot smoother than the old 4327.

Is that the AVS2 or the original Performer Series?

No. His original AFB is 41/4 inch , you will need the 5 inch base. His original carb is a 750. All he should need to do is get it set up properly. My humble opinion. If the price was wright, I sure would take the AFB.

The original AFB is staying without a doubt. I have an 800 CFM AVS2 that I will likely try.

What does "performance" mean to you? Power?

The non Califorina 67 440 AFB, 4326s and 4327s, are very good carbs. They are 1-11/16" throttle bores and would be considered 750-ish cfm. Hard to imaging a 650 AVS would perform better.

If you insist on replacing the original carb, the only carb I'd consider as the next step up from factory would be the 800 cfm AVS.

The 4326/4327 carbs should fetch pretty good money.

Performance should be a total package...quick cold start with correct fast idle, smooth transition off idle with good drivability. WOT should be immediate with zero bog. I have all of that with my 426-S.

Auto Transport Service
Back