• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 B Body - Steering column/timer relay questions

SDCoronet

Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
I have to rebuild my automatic steering column soon. After doing some initial research about replacing my turn signal switch, I now have a few questions about an apparent feature in my car that I previously did not know existed. Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this for me:

1. Do all the 67 B body steering columns have the bulb inside in the column in front of the shift indicator? Every one I have seen for sale has one in there - I assume my car has one.

2. Why wouldn't this be connected to the light switch, so the indicator would be lit at night? What is the point of connecting it to a timer relay? I would think it makes a poor temporary nightlight.

3. Provided my wiring and bulb is good, will just adding a timer relay to my harness operate the bulb? Or is there an additional harness necessary to get it to work?

4. I read in a few places that the timer relay can get red hot if it malfunctions. Anyone use a solid state relay to replace the original mechanical one?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know PRNDL is lit by the dash light circuit. The delay timer is used to illuminate the ignition switch. The timer does get hot for the 10 seconds or so that its active. I haven't hears of any fires though.

Auto Transport Service
Back