• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere carpet question

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
Replacing a carpet in a 67 GTX. In the front does the carpet go under the gas pedal bracket that bolts to firewall and toe board or is the carpet just cut around?
Same question on the bracket that supports the column under or just lays on top of?

I cut mine the way it was originally, with the carpet cut around the pedal bracket ,,the carpet also was layed as close to the top of the cowling as possible.

I cut mine the way it was originally, with the carpet cut around the pedal bracket ,,the carpet also was layed as close to the top of the cowling as possible.
That is just not how the factory do the carpet

This is how that gas pedal is done. Hole for the gas pedal rod, and a cut for the moving bracket. That’s not a piece cut out just a straight cut.
1st photo 67 coronet
2nd photo 70 sport satellite
These are original carpets

then a half round cut out for the clutch rod and column.

54E82966-8325-4E4B-9550-23928627A32D.png F15F3EB0-1FCD-4AF7-9F2C-D50F11E88DDA.png

Last edited:
This is how that gas pedal is done. Hole for the gas pedal rod, and a cut for the moving bracket. That’s not a piece cut out just a straight cut.
1st photo 67 coronet

View attachment 1161145 View attachment 1161146
that is what I was trying to describe, maybe not enough coffee,,,,,,but that cutout does not exist in an automatic, and that padding is well made, not like what a person is sold today.

These cut outs are the same for auto and 4 speed. I have a 4 speed with original carpet but can’t get to it for photos easily.

the reason an automatic carpet has a clutch rod cut out is because a coulmn shift manual has a clutch rod and the same floor and rug as an automatic.

We don’t need to cut it on and automatic but just showing what the factory did on them to be correct.

it’s little details like these that are going to be lost and forgotten. I saw a BJ auction car and they just cut the carpet way low for the gas pedal and column, it was horrible looking. I have the photo some place

1st photo 67 coronet

1st photo 67 coronet

Well I would not have guessed that. It was like that but I assumed it was replaced before. Seemed like too much carpet around moving pieces. I figured it has to be wrong , danger of carpet hanging up the throttle but I’m mistaken . Thanks

@R413 i did it as your pictures showed. Made a little bit of a V around the arm that holds the cable to give me piece of mind.

3AD86BA3-C590-4A01-B320-6CC192ACB53E.jpeg C8821F50-45EC-49BE-AD56-4D0205B8300B.jpeg F3F16924-C50B-4D8E-A670-518875100267.jpeg 31FF5EA9-8EC2-460E-9478-30FC806C6E6C.jpeg

Looks good! Nice and clean

Question: if they can make it through the 5 year warranty period and then to 50+ years without the throttle sticking then isn’t that good enough to run with?

Auto Transport Service
Back