• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere Glove Compartment Door Question

RT6PK

Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
I have a '67 Belvedere II, (this is only a 318 car so I don't want to spend too much money on it). Like most of the ones that I see, the chrome accent around the glove box door (and instrument panel) is badly faded. Also, it actually looks like there is chrome or silver under the black finish of face of the door. What I want to do is strip all of the black and chrome finish off of the glove box door, polish the plastic with some Novus plastic polish to bring the gloss back and call it a day. My question is if anyone has experience doing this, what shall I use to strip the black finish and chrome off without damaging the plastic? Or should I just paint the thing semi gloss black?

The SEM Landau Black for plasic is close to the original color. Not sure I would try to strip the paint off plastic if it is not pealing. I used EZ Off oven cleaner to strip a plastic Viper dash for repainting and it worked pretty well, but it was a 94 Viper RT/10 with "fuzzy paint" and I had no choice but to strip it before repainting.

Auto Transport Service
Back