• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'67 Belvedere II Hood Emblem

67PB2SS

Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me why some 383 hood emblems have an all black painted background, some have black and red and some are all red. What is the appropriate background color for the '67 Belvedere II, 383 4 bbl Silver Special? Mine appears to have been all red (although quite faded by the sun). I would like to repaint it by hand at some point. Is the red a "bright red" or a different shade? Should the 383 numbers be left alone or was their a black accent to them? Thanks for your help.

1967-Plymouth-Belvedere-american-classics--Car-101199928-7eb0e4f4bd69cc5c39fb30bc93a06e16.jpg

The black on one would be a 2bbl engine, not HP.

I wasn't clear. all red HP 383 was my guess. Think Jerry Hall black 2 bbl black 4 bbl red.

My 67 Belvedere had an all black emblem and was a 383 car . . . So I'm not sure

I'm still unsure about all of this. I have attached a copy from the dealer's data book for the '67 Belvedere. This is from the Hamtramck Registry. These were the engine options for that year. Looking at the responses so far it looks like:

All red emblem was for all HP engines (383 4 bbl, 426 Hemi and 440 4 bbl)
All black emblem was for the 383, 318 2 bbl engine.
Black and red emblem was for all the rest?

Please tell me if I'm wrong here. Thanks.

67_Belvedere_features_options0008.jpg

I had a 67 Satellite with the G-code 383 2-bbl. It had a black background on the hood emblem. My other 67 Satellite has the H-code 383 4-bbl and its hood emblem has a red background.

So are you saying, red/black was for 383 2bbl and all red is for 383 4bbl HP? What about all black?
I am saying all black is 383 2bbl and all red is 383 4bbl HP. The red/black I'm not sure. Guessing it could be an assembly plant thing, or a 383 4bbl non- HP application, but remember that's a guess. I have seen what you are talking about but just don't know.

I just went out to the garage and looked at mine and lo and behold it's black and red. I would have sworn it was all red. I guess I was just remembering the 383 inset.
20190921_174037.jpg

My VIN is RH23H77, a St Louis, MO car. Is it possible that 383 4 bbl Belvederes were all red and 383 4 bbi Satellites were black and red? That maybe model of car makes a difference?

My VIN is RH23H77, a St Louis, MO car. Is it possible that 383 4 bbl Belvederes were all red and 383 4 bbi Satellites were black and red? That maybe model of car makes a difference?
I actually think that is a real possibility.

Assuming there was any method to Ma Mopar's madness, that's a pretty good guess.

So what is the consensus?

All black - 383 2bbl and all other 2 bbl engine cars?
All red - 383 4 bbl and other HP engine Belvederes?
Black/red - 383 4 bbl Satellites and other HP performance engine Satellites?

Thanks to everyone that participated in this post. I think I can paint my emblem all red and feel confident that it is correct.

I just picked up that 383 2brl car and it's emblem was all black.
.....but i just bought a 426 emblem and you could choose black or red

Auto Transport Service
Back