• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 belvedere rear spring qustion

evanbrendel

Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score
on my belvedere the car sits with the quater panel covering about an inch of the wheel and i want about of inch of tire ar my springs weak? would mopar hd or "superstock" springs help?
thanks
Evan

Evanbrendel, Superstock springs would raise your car 2 or 3 inches, the hd springs are a factory replacement spring and would probley not raise it at all. The superstock springs are also very stiff and would give you a stiffer ride. You can also have your springs re-arched for about the same price as new springs.

My 66 Coronet 500 has the Mopar Performance extra heavy duty leaf springs and as MoparCain mentioned, they will not raise your car very much unless your original factory springs are pretty weak. The next time that I put springs on it, they WILL be the Super Stock springs as I just don't think that the heavy duty springs are nearly as good as the Super Stock springs are. I have included a few pictures of my Coronet 500 so you can see how it sits with the heavy duty springs. I do have it's torsion bars set a bit lower than stock, but I like the car's lower stance.

I have also included some pictures of my son's 72 Dart Swinger with the first few picture showing the car with it's original factory springs and the rest with it's new set of Super Stock springs that I put on it a couple of years ago. It raised the car about two inches or so and put the car at the exact ride height that we were looking for on the Dart. You WILL notice from the outside at the rear of the car, that the right side of the car will sit a touch higher than the left side of the car with Super Stock springs and that's normal because of the stiffer right side spring that was designed to handle engine torque loads on hard acceleration on the drag strip which Super Stock springs were originally designed to be used for.

Both the Coronet and the Dart also have all new rebuilt front suspensions that use poly bushings and I use the poly bushing on both cars in the leaf spring eyes also, so the cars are a little bit stiffer than with rubber bushings, but in my opinion, they handle MUCH better with these upgraded parts than they did with the stock parts.

Richard

100_0621.jpg

1966 Coronet 500 - Nov 2008 #2.jpg

1966 Coronet 500 - Nov 2008 #11.jpg

Rick's fist car -1972 Dart Swinger -in 2002 .jpg

Ricks 1972 Dart - 4-2002.jpg

Ricks 1972 Dart - 4-2002 #2.jpg

1972 Dart Swinger - Feb 2008 - photo by Richard Truesdell.jpg

1972 Dart - After 2005 - 2006 restoration #3.jpg

Rick's 1972 Dart Swinger after restoration in 2005 - 2006.jpg

1972 Dart Swinger - passenger side rear- Magnum 500 wheel and P225-70R-14 B.F.G. Radial TA tire.jpg

1972 Dart Swinger - rear suspension &tires 2006.jpg

I got the stock trailer towing springs under my 66 Charger...damn thing don't even need rear shocks....rides like a stiff rock.

Plus I had to put lowering blocks in to get the ride height back to where I liked it

DCP_2006.JPG

Hpim1343.jpg

I have found that for the best STOCK look is to use the Espo Hemi suspension type replacement springs. The Mopar Performance stuff is crap. Espo is much more like original new. The SS spring raise the rear of the car too much for me and gives the cars a "jack up in the back" look.

I have found that for the best STOCK look is to use the Espo Hemi suspension type replacement springs. The Mopar Performance stuff is crap. Espo is much more like original new. The SS spring raise the rear of the car too much for me and gives the cars a "jack up in the back" look.

Everybody has their own opinion and that's fine, but I don't think that every car that uses the Super Stock springs look "jacked up". If you look at the "before" and "after" pictures of my son's 72 Dart Swinger, I don't think it looks jacked up. On the A-Body cars, I don't like the look that the factory springs gave the car as shown in the "before" pictures with the wheel lip opening almost covering up the top of the wheel. I just think that you have to look at each car and deside what you want the cars stance to be and go from there.

As far as the Mopar Performance springs being "crap" goes, I will have to disagree with that, as I've been using the Super Stock springs for many years and have also used the extra heavy duty springs on a couple of cars and while I don't like the extra heavy duty springs as much as the SS springs, they have been VERY reliable and have given me zero problems. The ones on my Coronet have been in place since 1990 and are still working just as well as when they were new, and I drag raced this car HARD from 1990 through 1997, so I have no complaints with their quality.

Richard

Everybody has their own opinion and that's fine, but I don't think that every car that uses the Super Stock springs look "jacked up". If you look at the "before" and "after" pictures of my son's 72 Dart Swinger, I don't think it looks jacked up. On the A-Body cars, I don't like the look that the factory springs gave the car as shown in the "before" pictures with the wheel lip opening almost covering up the top of the wheel. I just think that you have to look at each car and deside what you want the cars stance to be and go from there.

As far as the Mopar Performance springs being "crap" goes, I will have to disagree with that, as I've been using the Super Stock springs for many years and have also used the extra heavy duty springs on a couple of cars and while I don't like the extra heavy duty springs as much as the SS springs, they have been VERY reliable and have given me zero problems. The ones on my Coronet have been in place since 1990 and are still working just as well as when they were new, and I drag raced this car HARD from 1990 through 1997, so I have no complaints with their quality.

Richard

Well, let me clarify that. This subject has been discussed MANY times on Moparts.com and the general feeling regarding the Mopar Performance spring is that they simply don't meet the standards of what they represent. The best example I can give is that people that buy the "factory original replacement" spring for their cars with 30-40 year old original springs, have been reporting back that the "new" replacement springs when installed sit EXACTLY the same as with their old springs. Does this mean that there was nothing wrong with their old springs? I have to say that is far from unlikely for a 30-40 year old spring that has been bouncing down the road for who knows how many miles in a 3800 lb. car.

I just know that when I replace my original Hemi suspension springs in my 66 Hemi Coronet with a Espo factory type replacement, the rear end DOES sit higher than with the 40 year old springs on my 3600 mile car. I did not like the look of other members that had posted pictures of like type cars with the SS springs as it looked too jacked up for my taste.

The thing you have to remember is that many times owners turn their torsion bars up also so the car sits level with the SS springs. If they set the torsion bars at factory stock ride height you would see a BIG difference.

People change suspensions and the setting for a vareity of reasons. Some are simply looking for a look, others are wanting it to handle for certain driving venues. I have mine set up for drag racing. If this is the kind of thing you too are interested in, you should read my lat post on page two of this link for suspension tips from Dick Landy regarding cars run in STOCK class. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=1742&page=2

Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but I have used several sets of the Super Stock springs on various A, B and E-Body cars of mine over 30 years or so and one set of the Mopar Performance extra heavy duty springs on my 66 Coronet and another set on my 70 Charger R/T that I owned before my Coronet and I have never had any issues with any of them, so I just can't bad mouth parts that have worked for me both on the drag strip and on the street. As I mentioned before, it all comes down to the owners personal likes and dislikes.

Richard

1970 Charger RiT - car show #1.jpg

1970 Charger RiT - car show #2.jpg

1970 Charger RiT - engine compartment after restoration #1.jpg

1970 Charger RiT - engine compartment after restoration #2.jpg

I've used both, the ss gave the best result as far as lift.

when i got my springs the new front hangers had 2 holes im guessing for different hights i wanted to go as tall as possible so i put it in the lowest one but maybe they have adressed this with the 2 holes?

Hey Evan, nice car :grin:. I'm trying to figure out which leafs to use as well, but mine will be for an autocross application since our drag strip went by by.

Auto Transport Service
Back