• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 charger exterior trim question…

bcOH67

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
Now before anyone thinks about stabbing me…read the whole post first

Any thoughts or experience with taking the chrome trim off that runs the length of the car on top of the doors etc., and not putting it back? I assume painting will need to happen (will do that eventually anyways) but does it look weird without it? Most of it would have to be rechromed and I thought if it didn’t change the look of the car too much I could put it towards a better paint job haha.

again…just a question…all you purists put your knives down…:lol:

In my opinion it looks very strange since the trim slides over top of a raised seam. It will be very noticible and look unfinished. However it is your car and and your taste and whayever you decide will be ok. Just do research and see if you can find any pics of cars w/o it.

Now before anyone thinks about stabbing me…read the whole post first

Any thoughts or experience with taking the chrome trim off that runs the length of the car on top of the doors etc., and not putting it back? I assume painting will need to happen (will do that eventually anyways) but does it look weird without it? Most of it would have to be rechromed and I thought if it didn’t change the look of the car too much I could put it towards a better paint job haha.

again…just a question…all you purists put your knives down…:lol:
Several Chargers through the years have been modified to look like the Coronets. Don’t know the costs. The body moulding is anodized aluminum. The J chromes at the back and 67 top of the fender indicators are plated. You can strip the anodizing and just polish it when necessary. We have a One with the modifications to make it look like a Coronet. Looks good, a drag car body. For the street I prefer original. Do what you want and build it your way. It is good to know that you are saving one.
Way less expensive to use your mouldings I would think.

It's aluminum not chrome.
Except for the little piece in the front.
If you take the trim off there are holes to fill.
I would not consider removing the quarter panel pieces ever as that ridge pinch weld probably was designed to stiffen the rear.
And it would have to be shaved.
If you look at the NASCAR pictures they removed the door and fender trim but left the quarter trim.
Uncle Tony explains the difference design feature of the rear of this body type which has no cross bracing.

Here's one I saw that had that done.

IMG_20200919_114558.jpg

Thanks guys! I didn’t even realize there was a ridge under it since I’ve been afraid to mess with it. And good to know it’s not chrome, I was just afraid of the cost haha. Thanks for the picture! I do like the look without but I feel like it loses a little something.
You guys are awesome, thanks for the input!

The upper quarter/door/fender trim/molding is one of the iconic characteristics of our cars. Taking it off like some have just destroys the looks.

Here is my 67. Paint and body was done in the 90s. Before I bought it. No problems without trim.

Here is a pic of a Charger that has been at Moparfest a few times. While it is beautifully done, I am a fan of chrome and this looks naked to me. But as many have said, it's your car, do what you want.
S4013824.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back