• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Charger Hemi water pump pulley - no ac with power steering unit-doesn't line up

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:45 AM
Reaction score
I installed the crank pulley and the water pump pulley today on my 67 Charger 426. I also have the power steering pump installed and alternator installed.
The groove on the water pump does not line up with the crank pulley or the power steering pump pulley.
I bought both pulley's from then same vendor after much searching for the correct size Hemi crank pulley and water pump pulley. In my parts book the 67 Hemi has two choices: Part #2780 632 Fan Drive Pulley 426 w/o Air with 2 Grooves and the pulley #1821 452 Single Groove, w/o Air Cond. Neither pulley makes no mention of power steering. I was told I needed #1821 452 style single groove pulley and purchased with the correct size crank pulley. The pulley's do not line up, see photos.

The crazy thing is the family I purchased the car from, engine out and few boxes of parts, brought me a box of pulleys about 6 months after I bought the car and low and behold they are the same exact "original" pulleys that came with the car and match the parts I bought!

I can't figure out why the water pump pulley is so far out, I used the original spacer, yet the belt will not line up with the water pump pulley to the power steering pump to the crank(see attached photos). Any comments to get me on the right path are welcome.

pulleys on Hemi.JPG pulleys on Hemi from Power steereing pump side.JPG

Take a picture of your harmonic balancer

The alternator & water pump should be one belt.. The P/S is by itself driven off the front crank pulley

the order of installation is:
Water pump
Pulley
Spacer
Fan

You have the spacer on first. It doesn’t work that way.
Rear crank groove is alt and WP belt.
Front crank groove is PS Belt only.

You have a gas cap on the PS pump.

Last edited:
a buddy used this on his 68 GTX hemi

66-68 Mopar B Body 426 Hemi Charger GTX Road Runner Coronet Water Pump Pulley
thumbnail.jpg

66-68 Mopar B Body 426 Hemi Charger GTX Road Runner Coronet Water Pump Pulley : 66-68 426 Hemi Water Pump Pulley. New reproduction with the same spacing as the original. For use with original thick crank balancer or if using a crate motor must use spacer on crank pulley. Must also use a 64-66 or 67-71 hemi alternator spacer set (spacers are the same, but the housing brackets are different)and Hemi crank pulley. Pulley is painted black. Includes 4 - thin head self locking water pump bolts that are needed for pulley clearance (washers are not used). Replaces original Chrysler pulley part number 1821452. Also fits 66-71 383 and 440 without a/c.
Pulley diameter is 6 inches 13/16, depth 2 inches 11/16.
$69.85

https://www.hooverautoparts.com/products/Engine/85636.php

He has the right water pump pulley.... I think it is spaced out..... What I think is going on is the harmonic balancer is a correct 426 Hemi piece and it has a 440 style lower pulley... It could be a few different combos of mismatched parts but a real 426 Hemi balancer is a bout twice as thick as a 440 balancer so it takes a special lower pulley...

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 6.07.35 PM.png

a buddy used this on his 68 GTX hemi

66-68 Mopar B Body 426 Hemi Charger GTX Road Runner Coronet Water Pump Pulley
View attachment 1130054
66-68 Mopar B Body 426 Hemi Charger GTX Road Runner Coronet Water Pump Pulley : 66-68 426 Hemi Water Pump Pulley. New reproduction with the same spacing as the original. For use with original thick crank balancer or if using a crate motor must use spacer on crank pulley. Must also use a 64-66 or 67-71 hemi alternator spacer set (spacers are the same, but the housing brackets are different)and Hemi crank pulley. Pulley is painted black. Includes 4 - thin head self locking water pump bolts that are needed for pulley clearance (washers are not used). Replaces original Chrysler pulley part number 1821452. Also fits 66-71 383 and 440 without a/c.
Pulley diameter is 6 inches 13/16, depth 2 inches 11/16.
$69.85

https://www.hooverautoparts.com/products/Engine/85636.php
This is the same pulley I purchased and as I stated I ended up getting the original pulley with a box of parts from the Seller family months later, so I am confident I have the right pully.

I received a message from a freind that I have the wrong water pump, it extends too far out.
Water pump
Pulley
Spacer
Fan

Got it, I see what you mean. I will reassemble today.

He has the right water pump pulley.... I think it is spaced out..... What I think is going on is the harmonic balancer is a correct 426 Hemi piece and it has a 440 style lower pulley... It could be a few different combos of mismatched parts but a real 426 Hemi balancer is a bout twice as thick as a 440 balancer so it takes a special lower pulley...

View attachment 1130068
These are the pulleys I have on the car, see photo .

crankshaft pulley.jpg water pump pulley.jpg

You have the right pulleys... I agree the spacer is in the wrong spot... You should be in good shape by rearranging the parts... Good Luck!

Yup, it looks like his pulley is just as deep as yours but either it's spaced out from the water pump or the water pump has an exceptionally long snout....

But I think the harmonic balancer is part of this too.... So I'd still like a picture..
Harmonic balancer is correct for the engine, see photo
Harmonic balancer and water pump.JPG

Water pump
Pulley
Spacer
Fan

I have attached 2 pictures of 67 Hemi power steering pumps with the same cap as mine. I am sure that these power steeing pumps did not have the black twist off cap you are referring to.
Power steering cap #2.jpg
Power steering cap .jpg

Those PS caps are not the same as yours. Your has a piece of metal attached to the top it is bent to 90 degrees. The sides of the cap are not tall enough. The 2 ears on the sides are too small.

What does that red printed lettering say on top of the cap? There is no red printed lettering on a factory PS cap.

480AA6E2-F3CF-4EAA-8A3B-EC352C540FFD.png

Those PS caps are not the same as yours. Your has a piece of metal attached to the top it is bent to 90 degrees. The sides of the cap are not tall enough. The 2 ears on the sides are too small.

What does that red printed lettering say on top of the cap? There is no red printed lettering on a factory PS cap.

View attachment 1130828
I see what you mean about Dean's cap, not correct if he cares? The one I commented on is same as mine. I did the forgot to put in on routine, fortunately back when it happened I went to my dealer the crotchety old parts man had one in stock. Ask him to look up a part he'd grumble but he go above an beyond to get your part. Miss the old coot.

I was under the impression Hemis got a smaller diameter w/p pulley. Like an a/c one. Not the standard BB one.
And p/s pump lids have dipsticks.

I was under the impression Hemis got a smaller diameter w/p pulley. Like an a/c one. Not the standard BB one.
And p/s pump lids have dipsticks.

Hemi's get a standard W/P pulley but a smaller diameter & shorter height crank pulley

Auto Transport Service
Back