• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Charger: Where does this yellow wire connect to on the firewall block?

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
I have attached a few photos of this yellow wire which come through a small hole in the firewall but is not connected. It was this way when I bought the car and even though I have re-wired the entire engine bay harness and all 3 blocks, I am not sure which block this goes to. On the other end it is connected to a small light bulb and has a second wire spliced into it which must feed another item on the dash. Finally, the small light bulb fits into a black cylinder that has a red lense which is in the dash just to the left of the glovebox.

Any help is appreciated.

Yellow wire at firewall.jpg Other end of yellow wire.jpg spliced into yellow wire with the bulb.jpg dash lense piece for yellow wire.jpg

That set up looks homenade. That is not something Dodge did by crimping those kind of connectors on. Get yourself a FSM and look at the wiring diag that will show you exactly what color wire goes to what.

Yellow wire comes from ign switch, through bulk head connector, to the start relay.
Possibly they were making a security setup back in the day? Not sure what they had going on there.

Factory doesn’t run a wire through the body without a grommet on it. And those crimp terminals. Non factory components. Looks added

Is that the factory yellow wire to the starter relay? Or is an added wire that happens to be yellow?

Is that the hole where a tach lead goes? I might be wrong. I had read something about on some post here on fbbo.

Ya that pic is too poor to see what's going on.
Is it going into the BH? Or is it going through a drilled out dimple hole in the firewall. Or both!

Early Chargers all came with tachs, so they didn't have the add on tach wire grommets like most others.

Not original, so ?
Correction, didn't read it was a 1967 model, my bad.

Didn't read the post properly..:BangHead:

That's just some extra wire. Hole should have been filled.

Factory doesn’t run a wire through the body without a grommet on it. And those crimp terminals. Non factory components. Looks added

Is that the factory yellow wire to the starter relay? Or is an added wire that happens to be yellow?
That is an added wire. I have the wire for the starter relay installed.

That set up looks homenade. That is not something Dodge did by crimping those kind of connectors on. Get yourself a FSM and look at the wiring diag that will show you exactly what color wire goes to what.
Yes I have the manual and I have the wiring diagram. That is why I'm posting it on the form because I could not find anything in my manual. The odd thing is the light at the other end of the yellow wire that fits into that black tube with the red lens in the dashboard. I have no idea what that would indicate.

Post a pic of the dashboard where it goes so we can see what you are talking about. My guess is it was added by someone at some point but it is not factory original to the car.

Yes I have the manual and I have the wiring diagram. That is why I'm posting it on the form because I could not find anything in my manual. The odd thing is the light at the other end of the yellow wire that fits into that black tube with the red lens in the dashboard. I have no idea what that would indicate.
Are you trying to keep the nostalgia of someone's wiring modifications?

Are you trying to keep the nostalgia of someone's wiring modifications?
No I am not trying to keep someone's wiring modification. This is my first 67 Charger and I am asking the question. Evidently, from the responses I am getting the yellow wire to the small light socket plus the second sliced wire for power does not belong to the car from the factory. I will remove it and be done with it. The small insert that was in the dash, see photos, has a red lens on it, and it appears to be wired to the engine bay to maybe tell the driver that power is on to a certain component. I looked in my manual, my wiring diagram and even the Charger brochure and nowhere does it show this red lense in the dash. So the answer will never be known. I didn't take a photo of the exact position on the dash but it is located to the right of the cigarette lighter.

dash lense piece for yellow wire.jpg dash lense side view.jpg dash lense.jpg

Post a pic of the dashboard where it goes so we can see what you are talking about. My guess is it was added by someone at some point but it is not factory original to the car.
I agree and see me response above to RemCharger.

The problem is it’s definitely home-done wiring and the yellow may or may not have any significance and is just what the had on hand. Or, it could be one sort of convienence lighting modification/extension which at least on my Plymouth is generally yellow for the ground side and pink on the power side. It may have come through the firewall for an under hood light added at one time and the red tinted interior light which may have illuminated something inside like a gage, the ash tray, hard telling now.

Back in the day when security alarms came out alot of folks use to just put a light in the car. Used it to fool would be thieves. My guess

If I am guessing correctly from your description it sounds like the wire is your Lamps not Locked warning light
Between the Speedo and the Tach there are two colored windows
The larger one is lamps not locked Warning
The smaller one underneath comes on with the high beams

now the mystery: The yellow wire in the dash harness goes to the Tach or at least in 66
Those ends are not factory but the lamp base looks like factory and correct for the warning light Edit- After a second look at this the base is not correct for factory either

Easy way to check is turn your headlights on
If the motors are closed the warning light will come on
if they dont work close one manually then turn the lights on
A volt meter will tell you if the wire is hot

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back