• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 coronet 500 motor question

Sakkos67500

Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
I have a 67 coronet 500 I’m looking to swap out the 318 that’s been sitting in it and drop in a big block 440 out of an rv. My question is do I need to change the k frame or is it bolt in with big block mounts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Should bolt it. Check Transmission input spline count, they changed between '66-67 so you may have either the 19 spline or 23 spline.

Yup, should fit just fine, as long as you put the appropriate motor mounts to it. Is it an 318la or poly? If its a poly it will have a 727 trans, if an la it will have a 904 trans. Reason being you will need a shorter drive shaft if you have the 904 trans. If you have the 727 its a straight swap. Are you getting into the motor at all or are you planning on just dropping it in as is?

I plan on going through the motor but the rv it came out of only has 5000 miles on it. I heard I need a car oil pan, oil pump and dip stick. The 318 that’s in it is backed by a 727 idk the condition of it.

Water pump housing is probably likely different and should be switched. Lower hose is on the wrong side. You can buy a new aluminum housing and save a little weight or the stock car housings are not hard too find. Oil pump should be the same. High volume would be a good upgrade though.
The RV transmissions may not have a slip yoke on the back of the tailshaft. Ours didn't it has a integral yoke/ yoke bolted to the tailshaft and the slip yoke was on the driveshaft. I don't know if every rv was built that way but, be prepared. Imo it may be easier to get a car tranny.
RV exhaust manifolds should fit in your car...but the manifolds dump the exhaust in different location then hp manifold....unless you run headers...non issue obviously then.
Running the 318 torsion bars...winding them up a crank will help with the extra weight...but anything you can do to lighten up the 440 will help 2.
I can't remember what RV motor mounts look like but pretty sure you need some off a bb car. K member though like said is the same.

My Bad, forgot changing small block to big block, so you will need the 727 for the big block because the bellhousing is different.
The oil pan sump and pickup may not fit a car. May need a different driveshaft length.
I don't know which transmission tail extension the RV trans will have, it could be slip yoke or fixed yoke?
For the motor mounts, will need the car type mount brackets that connect to the block, and car type block to frame isolated mounts (or use the stock car ones if they are not broken?) Use some torque limiter strap, chain, etc.. on the drivers side to help prevent ripping the mounts apart.

K frame is the same. Motor mounts. Pickup tube. Oil pan will all need changed. The oil pump is on the outside of a 440. No change necessary. The tail housing on the transmission will probably have a drum and a ujoint yoke. You will have to change the tail housing and mainshaft to make it work if that’s the case. Upgrade the radiator. Water pump housing may be different. I would think that the manifolds may or may not work. Shorty hedman headers are pretty cheap and fit good with no power steering. You will need a mini starter if you use them. Not sure if they would clear power steering. Drive shaft might be different length if it was a 904. That should cover it. Unless I missed something

Auto Transport Service
Back