• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'67 Coronet top speed

rod440

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
My car is a '67 Coronet Deluxe sedan,stock '74 440 HP with original internals,new rings,rod bearings & timing set / 727 / 2.94 8 3/4" rear,HP manifolds w/ TTI 2 1/2" exhaust.It has 225/70/r15 tires.
Next week I'm planning on driving this car to Blytheville Arkansas to run it in an E C T A speed trial event just for the fun of it. They offer 1/2 mile or 1 mile runs.I'm going to run the 1/2 mile,I think anything more than that would have the Coronet's tongue hanging out.
Have any of you guys ever run in one of these events? This will be my first time.Anyone care to guess what my car would do in a 1/2 mile?

My 69 gets squirrely at about 135.

Make this a contest my guess is 136 mph-- let me know if and what I won.
I'm off topic here but in 1967 my friends dad bought him a new rt and we did bury the 150 speedo and that was with 3 guys and 3 girls in the car and an empty case of beer in the trunk. That 440 had a lotta grunt left after 120 , but just kept going.
God musta been watching over us----150 on the crap bias tires of the time , yipes.

let us know how you do. i have same setup but in a 66 coronet.

do you have ac and power steering? do you have good brakes? :lol:

watermelon

Ok, assuming you can manage to achieve 5000RPM with that combo and that car's HP and coefficient of drag
in that half mile, theoretically you'd be going about 138MPH.

Aside from various folks' "enhanced" memories of achieving ludicrous speed with 16 people, two dogs and a cat on board
their slant six Dart back in the day - this all is actually quite a mathematical thing.
Feel free to experiment away with your own numbers:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/rearendgearcalc.html

I hit 5500rpm in my 69 Barracuda fastback with a 2.76 rear end on the motorway a few times. That was only a hopped up 318. I can't remember the tire sizes, they weren't very big, maybe 205/65 and I think I was doing over 140 mph. I reckon you should hit 140 easy.

Ok, assuming you can manage to achieve 5000RPM with that combo and that car's HP and coefficient of drag
in that half mile, theoretically you'd be going about 138MPH.

Aside from various folks' "enhanced" memories of achieving ludicrous speed with 16 people, two dogs and a cat on board
their slant six Dart back in the day - this all is actually quite a mathematical thing.
Feel free to experiment away with your own numbers:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/rearendgearcalc.html

I get more like 130 at 5000 rpm. What tire diameter did you use? I do think 5000, maybe 5200 will be the rpm peak with a stock set-up. But I'm not to sure it will even hit the peak rpm in a 1/2 mile. Probably pretty close though. I'll go with 129 mph.

Just asking......Have you ever driven one of these old bricks that fast? If so, then have fun. If not, then be sure of your brakes, don't over steer at high speeds, a little goes a long way, have good seat belts, wear a crash helmet and gloves. Leave the windows up, they help with aerodynamics and if you go over on the lid they help to keep it from collapsing. Check your hood latch to be sure it's catching the max amount of hook to the loop. Don't lock the doors.

I had a 71 Charger R/T in 1978. 440 4bbl 375HP/480FT LBS TQ
It was stock with new points and wires.
3.23 R&P with 255/60/15
In 1978 I stood on it on a remote section of interstate on the way to "The Last Drag Race" at LaPlace Dragway. After decades of the track hosting all kinds of icons of drag racing, as well as being my first time down the 1320, and the track where my dad won 1st place in his class (he still has the trophy) they were building condos on the property.
Anyway the Charger topped out at about 133 mph.
The 440 in the OP car isn't going to put out the same power mine did.
Hence 124 MPH is my guess

My guess is 118mph , being that you are running the half mile course. I don't know that the gearing you have will allow you to reach the MPH you want in the allotted space. I hope you prove me wrong and go 20mph faster than my guess.

I get more like 130 at 5000 rpm. What tire diameter did you use? I do think 5000, maybe 5200 will be the rpm peak with a stock set-up. But I'm not to sure it will even hit the peak rpm in a 1/2 mile. Probably pretty close though. I'll go with 129 mph.
The tire diameter as stated (225/70/15) is 27.4" total.

Last edited:
I hit 5500rpm in my 69 Barracuda fastback with a 2.76 rear end on the motorway a few times. That was only a hopped up 318. I can't remember the tire sizes, they weren't very big, maybe 205/65 and I think I was doing over 140 mph. I reckon you should hit 140 easy.
According to the math (the website I posted), 140 would be dead on for you at that RPM (assuming you meant 14" tires).

I drove my '65 Impala SS at 128 once and the front fenders were bowing out. Decided I had gone fast enough...

We’re talking WOT top end. So tell us what CFM carburetor, what exhaust pipe size and is it headers the iron manifolds?

Check to see if carb really goes wide open with a helper pressing the pedal to the floor.

If you want to make it faster then remove the fan entirely, or get an electric water pump drive. All these help a lot in drag racing. Can only help more in a top end run like this. The alternator doesn’t take much to run if you battery is fully charged.

What is the surface you will be running on?

I guess it will go about 122 MPH in the 1/2 mile. Have fun with it!!!

Last edited:
He's going to back out at 120 after the *** end starts to wiggle around.

According to the math (the website I posted), 140 would be dead on for you at that RPM (assuming you meant 14" tires).
Yeah that sounds about right. They were 14" Cragar S/S. Maybe the Barracuda was a lot more slippery than the early B Bodies? The funny thing is that it had drum brakes all round that would pull to one side, power steering that had about 2" of play either side, and the all the ball joints and bushes were old, yet to my 23 year old mind it was very stable at high speed... This was in the late nineties in the UK when all my friends had Golf GTI's etc that would hit a genuine 120 mph, but my Barracuda was on a different performance plain altogether.

all my friends had Golf GTI's etc that would hit a genuine 120 mph
I was at test and tune night last night and I don't know what year the VW Golf was (looked kinda new) but I asked if it was the original engine (not a swap) and got a YES answer.
4 wheel drive, automatic, turbo....
Running consistent 11.2s at 120 in the 1320!

Auto Transport Service
Back