• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX console shifter

Yella Dawg

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, I’ve got my center console mounted exactly where it’s supposed to be with Park at the extreme top but when I pull all the way down, it doesn’t have enough travel to get into third gear. It bottoms out at the bottom of the slot. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

898C1AB3-E196-43B2-B6A9-AB12C0C5EBA2.jpeg

Unless you have a manual valve body that's first gear. The button only is up in drive and park. It also could need a slight on the linkage rod.

Unless you have a manual valve body that's first gear. The button only is up in drive and park. It also could need a slight on the linkage rod.
Sorry, brain fart. 1st gear and yes it’s a Cheetah manual/auto valve body. Drive works fine upshifting but doesn’t downshift automatically hence the issue. I figured there must be a way to adjust the throw

I don't know about Cheeta valve bodies. I converted a stockVB to a reverse VB with a new separator plate. No automatic downshift and no hold back in low. Manual shift VB maybe just that. You could edit the first post so anyone starts reading knows you have a Cheeta VB.

Last edited:
The white plastic bushings that support the shaft(high and low) that passes through the floor need to be in good shape or you lose a lot of action

Last edited:
I have a car with that shifter console and reverse manual valve body. Works as it should.

I agree with Dan J about the bushings possibly being worn out. I have the same '67 car/console without issues. I would also check to see if the linkage is binding while in park, possibly adjusted too far into park. Please post your findings.Thanks
Copper

Auto Transport Service
Back