• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX fuel tank

moparchris

Local time
3:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Trying to finish up my hemi X and this fuel tank is a real PITA!! I swear the new fuel tank strap I got with the car can't be right ( I checked the part number on the package and it says it is correct). Does anyone have a clear picture of the strap where it secures to the J hook? Also any clear pictures of the vent line going thru the frame rail and attaching to the rubber elbow at the tank?
GEEZ.. whoever designed this set-up should have been shipped over to GM in 1968....
Makes a 68 Charger a walk in the park....

Thanks so much for any help with this deal.

Not sure if these are the right views to help you. Hard to get a good angle with the car on the ground. And you're right, these tanks are a PITA.
20200701_214306.jpg
20200701_214329.jpg
20200701_214342.jpg
20200701_214413.jpg
20200701_214513.jpg

if you also bought a new J hook, check it. mine was diffrent and was a pain to get to fit

I got a repro, and one of the mounting ends were opposite of what they should be.

I reused the original.

My repro J hook did fit perfect though.

I got a repro, and one of the mounting ends were opposite of what they should be.

I reused the original.

My repro J hook did fit perfect though.
Where did you get the J hook? The one on my conv. broke during removal and the ones I have seen are '68 and up style. Not sure if the '68 style will work or if someone is making the '67 style.

Where did you get the J hook? The one on my conv. broke during removal and the ones I have seen are '68 and up style. Not sure if the '68 style will work or if someone is making the '67 style.

68-70 style won't work.

Here is the correct style.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1966-1...494543?hash=item5485d3ab4f:g:U1wAAOSwljJdMf9a

http://www.mrmoparts.net/products/fuel-tank-j-bolt-fits-67-a-body-66-67-b-body.html

http://retro-motive.com/66-67-mopar-b-body-gas-tank-strap-stud-nut-satellite-coronet-charger-1602/

I don't remember who I bought mine from, but any will work.

Getting the rubber hoses installed was a PITA for my 67 GTX.
Maybe on other cars.
I've had folks tell me that dropping a gas tank is a "walk in the park" - not for my GTX
Cheers!

Getting the rubber hoses installed was a PITA for my 67 GTX.
Maybe on other cars.
I've had folks tell me that dropping a gas tank is a "walk in the park" - not for my GTX
Cheers!
Agree with Danny Boy. First thing cut the hoses. Only possible way to "save" the hoses is to soak them in Ditzler vinyl conditioner. Soak a rag in vinyl conditioner wrap the rag around end of hose you want to remove. Then wrap clear wrap around rag to keep it from evaluating. Test plastic wrap before doing this to see if it melts. Check it every few hours. I discovered this by soaking an elbow that was rock hard. Think I left it wrapped for a couple of days, it was to big after that. Stuck it on my NOS tank vent tube in a couple of weeks it shrank to fit. In about 3 /4 months it was rock hard again.

Thanks so much for the info and the pictures. The strap that I got with the car is not even close to what I'm seeing in the pictures. I was laying under the car and thinking to myself that this couldn't be right. I think the previous owner bought the strap from Spectra through RockAuto. I will use the links provided to see if I can get a better strap.
Thanks again!! Hopefully there will be another 426 GTX out on the street soon!!

Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but I have the tank out of my conv so here are some pics of the OEM strap in case they help you sort it out. It's a little tweaked on the tab end from getting it out. Thought I bought a new one, but couldn't find it quickly in my pile of parts.
20200703_054801.jpg
20200703_054709.jpg
20200703_054716.jpg

Thanks for the photos!! I talked to the previous owner of the GTX this morning and he found the original strap. He is bringing it over to my house tomorrow. I should be all set.

I didn't have much luck with the repop strap and J bolt on my 66 Charger either. My FSM refers to the original bolt as the "question mark bolt" as thats what it looks like, it does fit much better than the commonly supplied j bolt replacements

7D6595C2-78CB-47B8-B6A8-4908B0E364E6.jpeg
Just put the tank in my Hemi 67 today. Found someone cut the metal vent tube. Now to find a replacement. Another hold up. Owned this car for six weeks and am dying to hear it run.

Auto Transport Service
Back