• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX Re-Build/Hood and Header Clearance

FlagCraig

Local time
5:33 PM
Reaction score
Getting ready to proceed with a re-build on original 440 motor and putting my plans in place. Looking to do a stroker 505 or 512 with the possibility of keeping the 915 heads (still wavering). I like the original factor plus I have read (till my eyes bled) they are good heads. The goal is about 500HP. It will be a street driver as it is now and wife and or daughter will be driving it sometimes to car shows and such. Will keep the original 323 in the rear and it is an automatic.

1. If I go with an Edelbrock intake manifold(recommendation?) and Holley carb will I have clearance issues with original hood?
2. If I use TTI Headers 1 7/8" will there be any clearance issues?

Thanks for help.

IMG_1180.JPG

I have no first hand experience with this, but I will throw in my 2-cents. IF it's original, then maybe "consider" keeping it original & just installing hardened exhaust valve seats in the 915's. From what I read, Mopar big block heads are the big limiting factor since they don't really flow enough for a 440 cubic inch engine, so I'm pretty sure they won't flow enough for a 500+ cubic inch engine. Basically, you might stroke the motor and only gain 5hp or something. If you stay original, then maybe keep the stock manifolds too. I guess you could always slip in a small cam/lifter/springs (but keep the original parts).

Having said that, and if you're convinced you don't want to be original anymore, then you probably want to go with some type of aftermarket heads for a 500+ inch engine. From what I hear, TTI headers fit really well and most people that talk about them like the fit.

Auto Transport Service
Back