• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX Rear quarter extensions question

Mr. Belvedere II

Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
0BCB833E-055F-4EF7-B76D-1A16E87DB389.jpeg
I have my 67 plymouth Belvedere II (GTX clone) at a body shop here in New England and they have installed the rear quarter extensions with just a plastic gasket that doesn’t appear to be a great finish look and makes me nervous about leaks as well. I was under the assumption they are only installed with a seam sealer applied to the gap and wiped away them painted. Please help! I am paying a fortune for this and want it done exaaaaaaaactly right! Could anyone send some pics or tips on how theirs were installed??

That’s how it looks. No seam sealer, just a hard black plastic gasket. There is sealer on the 4 nuts that mount the quarter extension. There is a white foam gasket around the taillight housing to the quarter. Those two things will keep the water out of the trunk.

At the factory the car was painted with the quarter extensions installed. The factory paint is much thinner than 99% of repaints. You might want to paint the car with those off.

Ireplaced that plastic crap with rubber piece i ordered from detroit muscle ask loretta just made me a set of two less then 3 weeks ago. far better fit.

That’s how it looks. No seam sealer, just a hard black plastic gasket. There is sealer on the 4 nuts that mount the quarter extension. There is a white foam gasket around the taillight housing to the quarter. Those two things will keep the water out of the trunk.

At the factory the car was painted with the quarter extensions installed. The factory paint is much thinner than 99% of repaints. You might want to paint the car with those off.

Oh man, I hope your interior does not get trashed…..best to remove before paint! Been there early on! Never again!

Auto Transport Service
Back