• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX Wiper Motor Wiring Issue

Daniel Rojas

Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I have a customers car that is kicking my ***. Customer said the wipers stopped working and wanted them fixed. It is a two speed motor and switch. When you turn the switch to low it goes for a second then trips the internal circuit breaker and stays like that. Turn it to high and it will run at a low speed and not trip the breaker. Tested the motor as according to a test I found online and the motor seems to work fine testing at the firewall plug end of the harness. I figured the switch is the issue then since the wiring,pins, and insulation all look fine and nothing burning. ordered a uses switch and installed and still had the issue. Checked the wiring diagram and the colors/plugs are different for a 67 belvedere than on the car. Checked for a 67 barracuda and the colors look more correct. Bench tested the switch according to the wiring diagram book and it seems to be fine. Also tested each pin on switch to the case for shorting in each position and nothing seems to be shorting in switch. And i doubt two different switched will have exact same issue, but wouldn't be the first time it happened. I tested the wiper harness itself for continuity to ground on each wire at the switch and all show nothing except for key 12v (pink wire) shows 4ohms to ground. I talked to Classic Wiper twice and he seems surprised by the issue as well and I'm at the point of sending the motor ans switch out him to be rebuilt and tested but i just doubt the motor is the problem. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

First off check the bulkhead connections for dirt and corrosion you need very low resistance connection there.

http://www.passion4mopars.com/How-T...ece-NevilleGeneral-Industries-Motors_b_4.html
bench testing

http://www.passion4mopars.com/

this was posted by passion4mopars

Bench Test Procedure for a 3 speed/variable speed:

If you do not have the proper functions, 99% of the time it is a ground problem. If you experience this, first run a ground wire from the metal housing on switch to the pin switch for dome light in driver’s door jamb. Run switch again. If you still have a problem run a ground wire from the wiper motor ground strapto the negative battery post. Run switch again.

If you still experience trouble:

(1) Disconnect motor leads at bulkhead disconnect. Connect jumper wire from battery positive terminal to brown and red leads in bulkhead disconnect. Connect a second jumper from the green lead to ground. (The ground circuit is completed through the car body). The motor should run continuously. Disconnect leads.

(2) Connect jumper wire from green lead to brown lead. Connect red lead to ground. Connect third jumper wire from battery positive terminal to blue lead. The wiper should run to the park position. CAUTION: Motor can be damaged if not wired correctly

Bench Test for your Switch:

You can use this to test your switch with an Ohm meter.

Wiper Switch Wiring and Testing

Color Wiring:
A = Brown w/ White
B = Pink
P = Blue
W = Brown
F1 – Red
F2 = Green
B/U = No Connection

B to B/U = B voltage in across the internal circuit breaker. Always on no matter what speed or off position to B/U. B/U Voltage After Circuit Breaker

The following connections should all be reading 0 ohms, except as noted, when active. Any connection combination not mentioned should not show a reading.

In the OFF position:
B to P
A to F2
F1 to Housing Ground

In On Low through High speed positions:
B to F1 {(0 Low) to (– 25 High)}
A to F1 {(0 Low) to (– 25 High)}
B to A
F2 to Housing Ground

Washer Motor On – No Reading In The Off Position
B to W
A to W
F1 to W

(My thanks to Jim aka Slotts, at JS Restoration for the switch test procedures)

mopar-wipers-jpg.jpg

Bench Test Two Speed Wiper Motor

2SpeedTerminalIdentification.jpg

topic=377.jpg

2-speed-wiper-jpg.jpg

topic=377.jpg

Use a battery or battery charger for this procedure.

Connect ground from battery or negative post of charger to brass ground strap on wiper motor.

CONCEALED 2 SPEED TEST PROCEDURE

Jump the P2 terminal to the ground.

Connect 12v positive to H terminal. Motor should run on high speed.

Connect the L terminal to the resistor and positive to the other side of the resistor, motor should run on Low speed.

Now, remove the ground from the P2 terminal and ground the L terminal and jumper positive to P1 and the motor should park.

NON CONCEALED TEST PROCEDURE

12 volts to H-run on high
Remove 12v from H and apply to resistor other side of res. to L.....low speed
Remove 12v from res. and jump L and P2, put 12v to P1....Park

Last edited:
Since this thread isn't that old...figured i would try to resurrect it with a question.

would I be correct to assume a universal switch like the below would NOT work with a mopar 2 speed wiper...because the Park position actually uses the low speed backwards...and it requires polarity to reverse? where this switch wouldn't do it?
upload_2020-7-7_19-15-17.png

Ill let you know. I ordered a cole hearse switch like that to try in place of the factory setup.

Yes old wiring can be a kick in the ***. If every thing work's on the bench then I would say you have other problem's. Like was stated the bulk head connector.

Auto Transport Service
Back