• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 R/T 440 Air cleaner saga continues

dammstrate

Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
Thanks folks for all your comments on my previous post about the no snorkle air cleaner. I am fairly new to Mopars, so don't know all the details, yet. For example I didn't realize the Holley on the car has a 5 1/8" air horn. Normal AFBs are 4 7/8". So the person who suggested this was an air cleaner off a 1968
C body with a Holley was probably right. After poking all around the internet, it seems the NORMAL air cleaner for a 67 440HP R/T is dual snorkel, no oil breather nipple, and pie pan says 440 MAGNUM on it.

1 - anyone know what kind of Holley this is (pic)? Looks like a big double pumper (yes, I know bad for the street), but I can't for the life of me find any kind of part number anywhere. Intake is Mopar P5153525 that you can get at Summit or Jegs.
2 - I have the original AFB in a box, looks all complete, but has provisions for heat riser choke, which no longer exists with the current manifold
3 - I think Ebrock AVS are also 5 1/8", yes?

My dilemma:
- want to ditch the Holley
- current intake doesn't have heat riser choke, so can't use the original carb without re-installing the original intake (which I have, but I like the aluminum look)
- original carb needs smaller air cleaner, but then choke won't work
- AVS needs larger air cleaner, but the current one on the car is a 68 with air breather port
- does an AFB exist that doesn't have heat riser choke?

I think my best option is get an AVS electric choke, and a no snorkel air cleaner with no air breather nipple --> does that exist?

Any other suggestions to keep the aluminum intake? Did Mopar make a 5 1/4" dual snorkel air cleaner?

If I can find a proper air cleaner, the current one will be for sale, along with the Holley.

Ahh, the fun of playing around with old cars....

89184174.jpg

20220719_144119[1].jpg

Aftermarket intake and a Holley. Take the air cleaner off and look at the front of the air horn. There should be a "List" number that will tell us what it is.

Get yourself an Edelbrock 750 Vac secondaries with electric choke....this will work on your intake, and with the correct dual snorkel air cleaner.

Just don't like holleys in general?
I'm in the "put a carb kit in and get a dual snorkel lid " camp.

Aftermarket intake and a Holley. Take the air cleaner off and look at the front of the air horn. There should be a "List" number that will tell us what it is.
Normally yes, but no numbers there on this one.

Get yourself an Edelbrock 750 Vac secondaries with electric choke....this will work on your intake, and with the correct dual snorkel air cleaner.
This would be an AVS, with 5 1/8" air horn. Then a stock dual snorkel with a 4 7/8" opening would not fit.

Are you thinking of a mid seventies air cleaner??
You can a 14” parts store, or you can use a 383 2bbl air cleaner base. I had a dual snorkel on my 68 pickup, I bought it stupid cheap because it had some rust and no base. I’ve used the unsilenced base and the 2bbl base.

The hole in a 67 R/T air cleaner is 4 1/4". A 67 R/T with the cleaner air package would have the nipple. All california cars would have it. I believe some came with the no snorkel, un silenced air cleaner, but most by far, came with the dual snorkle. 68 and up air cleaners with carters, as well as all holleys would have the 5 1/8" opening.

The hole in a 67 R/T air cleaner is 4 1/4". A 67 R/T with the cleaner air package would have the nipple. All california cars would have it. I believe some came with the no snorkel, un silenced air cleaner, but most by far, came with the dual snorkle. 68 and up air cleaners with carters, as well as all holleys would have the 5 1/8" opening.
And the Carter 2bbl found on 383s have the 4 1/4 opening.

If you have the correct AFB for your car, it is 750 cfm. Lots of factory manifolds around if you are trying to be close to original. Certainly don’t trash the AFB.

It’s pretty funny, I had a 69 383 2bbl, I put an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl intake on it. I thought the AFB I had was for a 383, and it was running great, I had an AFR gauge on it, and it was perfect 13-14 AFR, it took off the line great, and cruised great. But when I needed to replace the accelerator pump, I looked up the number on the carb, and it said 1965 Poly 318! Never underestimate a Poly 318 AFB
:rofl:

If you want to use the original AFB I believe Mike’s Carburetors sells an electric choke conversion. I used one on an AVS.

Most of us drive our cars in the summer, so I whenever I get the car together I will just let it warm up at idle a few minutes and carry on.

A quick way around your dilemma would be to buy an aftermarket Holley base plate at a speed shop that requires 14" o. d. air cleaner element. I think there are regular height base and dropped base for hood clearance problems. Just drop your dual snorkel or no snorkel lid and cleaner on it. The element seals to the lid and the base plate, and your air cleaner becomes unsilenced, but looks stock to the eyeball. Better air flow to the carb is a plus. Edelbrock makes an electric choke kit that bolts on to their AFB and AVS carbs. I run a 750 cfm. on both my 440's with the choke kit. Power comes from 12 V. side of ballast resister. Other wire grounds to carb body.

Last edited:
A 67 R/T with the cleaner air package would have the nipple. All california cars would have it.
I had 2 '67 R/Ts back in California. 1 in 1979, 1 in 1989. Both 100% untouched worn out originals. Both small opening (early AFB) dual snorkel, with the nipple on the left snorkel. CA emissions.....

For years on my 67 GTX I ran an 800 Edelbrock with the 5-1/8” throat and used a 68/69 base plate to fit the carb, and then put my dual snorkel intake on top of that. Because the base plate was the same outer diameter of the stock filter and smaller than the stock snorkel intake top diameter, basically it was all unsilenced intake drawing air from the underneath perimeter gap that was something like 1 to 1-1/2” wide. All air was still filtered. No one could detect this with the big top on it. I recently put a stock restored AFB back on it and just swapped the base plates out to run the smaller throat, stock one for the top and now all air is drawn through the snorkels.

with the Edelbrock.

FE0590E7-DFC9-4851-94AC-DE23938128F9.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back