• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Rear Quarter Letter Mounting

Mike67

Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know the name of the beige post nuts that go letters? They have a 5/16 hex and are about 1" long.
Also where can you get them? Thanks

s-l400.jpg

Mike,
Weren't they called speed nuts? How many do you need? I have a couple.

Mike,
Weren't they called speed nuts? How many do you need? I have a couple.
I'm not sure. I thought speed nuts were the all steel type. The plastic ones allow you to put a wrench on them, which is needed where the letters are mounted under the filler neck. The speed nuts will work with a nut driver or socket, but every time I've tried to use a wrench it slips off due to the taper in the nut.
I probably need about 6-8 of them. When my father in law was helping disassemble he used channel locks and either broke them or messed up the hex on the ones I have.

4bc1e34fa75798313dab1cee23f59879.jpg

I've always called them acorn PAL nuts. There's probably a more correct name but you can search the internet using that name and it will probably get you a few hits.

I'm not sure. I thought speed nuts were the all steel type. The plastic ones allow you to put a wrench on them, which is needed where the letters are mounted under the filler neck. The speed nuts will work with a nut driver or socket, but every time I've tried to use a wrench it slips off due to the taper in the nut.
I probably need about 6-8 of them. When my father in law was helping disassemble he used channel locks and either broke them or messed up the hex on the ones I have.

View attachment 1059580
you could be right about the difference. Let me see how many I have and get back to you

Auto Transport Service
Back