• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67gtx exhaust on a 67 coronet?

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
I'm crazy for the looks of the 67 GTX exhaust tail pipes and tips. I really would love to have that exhaust system on my 67 Coronet RT. I can't get any of the exhaust manufacturers to say it will work. Only area of concern is the fuel tank fill pipe and hose. Is it identical to that of the GTX? If both car are the same in that area it should be ok. Could any member comment or a 67 GTX owner post a picture or two of the left tail pipe and chrome tip in relation to the fill pipe.

Should work. Outside skins are different...about it.

Maybe these will help. I have about 3/4 inch clearance to the fill pipe but I'm running 2-1/2 inch TTI tail pipes. You need the correct GTX tailpipe hangars for the tips also.

IMG_3616.JPG IMG_3614.JPG

thanks for the pics now I have some thing to compare

Not sure, did the Coronet have a longer wheelbase dimension than the GTX? If so that would be an issue if you buy stock style repro parts. I'd get the GTX tips and mounts and have a good muffler shop make up the rest to fit your car.

I looked up the wheelbase for both since I didn't trust my memory. It reported the GTX as 115.5 inches and the R/T as 117 inches. The 1.5 inches must be made up in the floor pan between the torsion bar cross member and the rear spring front mounts so I suspect the trunk pan and relationship of the fuel filler and tail pipes is pretty much the same. (I think).

I put my car up on a lift today so if you need a specific measurement or a better photo I can probably get it for you.

If I could get a pic showing the tip hanger mounting location that would be great

If I could get a pic showing the tip hanger mounting location that would be great

I'll get it today. I have TTI tailpipes and tips but from memory I used the original hangars because they seemed to fit better than what TTI sent me.

If you have any interest in them, I have the prior, stock tail pipes with tips off of my car. The tips were welded to the pipes however, so not completely stock. I didn't cut them at the mufflers when removing but I can't be sure that they would be long enough for a Coronet due to that 1.5 inch difference. Actually, that might be an issue for any GTX tailpipe. This would probably be a good question to call and ask TTI or Accurate exhaust systems about - are the tail pipe lengths the same on Coronet and Belvedere cars? With new pipes and clamped on tips it probably would not be much of an issue as the there was quite a bit of room on the pipe at the rear bumper for adjusting the position of the tips.

I understand your wanting to add the tips to your R&T. Back in the late 60s I added 68 GTX tips to my 64 Sport Fury just because of the looks. They definitely dress up the rear. That is actually something else you might consider - 68/69 tips. They come straight out the back but could probably be more easily adapted to your current tail pipes and hangars.

Here are the additional pictures that are of better detail.

IMG_3617.JPG IMG_3618.JPG IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3620.JPG

Thank you big help, i ordered the parts I'll post photos when it's all done

Plymouth and Dodge fuel fill pipes are ever so slightly different (quite differnt at the cap area), but the area where the pipe enters the tank should be the same.

That wheel base difference has always puzzled me.

Floor pan is the same, trunk floor is the same, springs are the same as are driveshafts.

Where's the inch?

I think it was a marketing gimmick to differentiate the higher priced Dodge line from the Plymouth.

Back in the late 50's and 60's wheel base was a highly touted "feature" on cars, presumably to do with ride quality.

That wheel base difference has always puzzled me.

Floor pan is the same, trunk floor is the same, springs are the same as are driveshafts.

Where's the inch?

I think it was a marketing gimmick to differentiate the higher priced Dodge line from the Plymouth.

Back in the late 50's and 60's wheel base was a highly touted "feature" on cars, presumably to do with ride quality.

Me too. I thought they were both 116 inches but thought I better check with a Google check - which indicated the 1-1/2 inch difference. With a torsion bar and leaf spring suspension it would almost have to be in the floor pan? But I'm sure the roof lines/dimensions are the same which would dictate interior length. Doors are probably the same length (I suspect). It would be interesting to line both up and measure them.

Just my thoughts, wheelbase is center of hub to center of hub. So if the rear axle was located 1.5 inches for or aft it would change the wheelbase.

Just my thoughts, wheelbase is center of hub to center of hub. So if the rear axle was located 1.5 inches for or aft it would change the wheelbase.
I did some more Googling and the 115.5 in wheelbase for the GTX I quoted was probably an error as most sites list it at 116 inches. I also found that the 67 Belvedere wagon had a 117 inch wheelbase, as did the Dodge R/T and the Coronet station wagon. They could probably hide an inch with a slightly shifted mount for the front spring hangar and different drilling for the rear spring shackles. For an inch they probably didn't even have to relocate the wheel housing on the floor pan.

Good luck with the tips.

Doors, are in fact identical and interchange.

Floor pan from aftermarket works in both with no mods to either.

Spring pin would have to be different (and possibly drive shaft) if axle position.

Spring hanger has been suggested. Proof of OEM part number might help that argument, but there's still the drive shaft length issue, and it would affect the spring arch unless the shackle position was moved back.

I still say marketing.

You'll find the same with E body and A body. Dodge is shown as 1 inch longer wheel base fro same model (IE not comparing 2 door to 4 door or wagon, or 21/23 to 29 body).

Auto Transport Service
Back