• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 2 dr hrdtp rear window adjustment

dwaynew

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
Please help. I replaced the weatherstripping on my '68 GTX and cannot figure out how to adjust the rear window to fit now There are a number of adjustments for the regulator but is there a method to this madness or is it just trial and error? I would like to get my back seats back in but need to get this adjusted. I have not found anything in the service manual.

DwayneW:confused:

What exactly is the fit problem?

What interface is giving you trouble? Is it the top of the glass to the roffline weatherstrip? The quarter glass to door glass fit? Is it gragging tight through the door jam rubber slotted window boot?

let us know where exactly you are having trouble and someone might be able to help.

Yep, just went through this very thing on my '68 GTX.
Glad I had a factory service manual, but a lot of it just took patience and learning.
I'll try to help also.

Thanks for the response guys. I guess it is all of the above to some degree. The biggest issues would be how tight it is to the front window strip, It seals well but with the door closed it is real hard to roll the window up and down. i think i have the front to back adjustment figured out but the in and out and then the up adjustment at the front and the general fitment at the roofline are probably the biggest problems. I have the manual but it jsut does not seem to give what a guy really needs unless I am not looking in the right part of the manual.??

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am trying to find an old glass guy in our small town that may have experience with these..

DwayneW

I did my 69 charger just a few weeks ago. The best advise I could give is just have all weatherstrip, etc. in, door panels off, and do the door glass first, loosen all bolts for 1/4 regulator/brackets/etc. and move/adjust everything as necessary. Snug up bolts as things are adjusted then when you are happy with alignment tighten everything down. One thing to note although I adjusted the door glass first, when I got my 1/4 glass almost aligned I had to angle the door glass out a little more (its bolt is located through the door jamb, where the body plug is).

Hope this makes some sense to you and helps.
Jason

Auto Transport Service
Back